Can't access share with username & password

yes

sorry, not had to dick about with that setting, just know that it exits, so can't help on what value you may need ...

my Win10 pro to samba4.10 on Fedora30 "just works"

Reply to
Andy Burns

(ii) you may need to force smaba to use a different authentication

--
"The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow witted
man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest

    - Leo Tolstoy
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

that happens to be the case for me

Reply to
Andy Burns

I did.

Gave it level 1

Send LM & NTLM ? use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated

Client devices use LM and NTLM authentication, and they use NTLMv2 session security if the server supports it. Domain controllers accept LM, NTLM, and NTLMv2 authentication.

I thought this was the most useful option, as there is LM, NTLM and NTLMv2.

Still don't work.

Reply to
Fokke Nauta

I tried but it did not work. Used sudo smbpasswd -a 'Fokke Nauta' And then typed in the password twice, but it came back with Failed to find entry for user Fokke Nauta. I think the reason is that the user name consists of two words with a space in between.

OK, can you tell me how?

Fokke

Reply to
Fokke Nauta

I tried but it did not work. Used sudo smbpasswd -a 'Fokke Nauta' And then typed in the password twice, but it came back with Failed to find entry for user Fokke Nauta. I think the reason is that the user name consists of two words with a space in between.

Fokke

Reply to
Fokke Nauta

The term 'facepalm' springs to mind here.

Reply to
mm0fmf

?
Reply to
Fokke Nauta

Presumably it's easy enough to create another user for testing?

It's an old article, but

"Logon names can contain all other special characters, including spaces, periods, dashes, and underscores. But it's generally not a good idea to use spaces in account names"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Exactly. I've been writing software and such for 36 years for a job. In that time the one thing I have learnt is that the simpler you keep usernames and filenames then the more likely you will have success. Partly it's because the ASCII character set perfectly encompasses the words I need to write so I have never need umlauts or accents or other non-ASCII characters. I realise this is a big limitation for many people on mainland Europe and significant limitation for non-Latin scripts such as Russia or Asia etc. But hey, consider this, Shakespeare & Chaucer wrote some damn fine prose in only 24 characters so you should ask whether your language really needs all those squiggles! (That's a joke BTW.)

There's no reason why usernames and filenames cannot be UTF-8 or whatever you want but there is the simple fact lurking that an awful lot of code has been written when everything was ASCII only (or 7bit ASCII even) or written by programmers who only think ASCII. The result is code that considers the space to be a delimiter in a user name such that your username is 'Fokke Nauta' to Windows and 'Fokke' to something else as it doesn't accept whitespace and the like.

So in my simple view, just because you can use a space in a username doesn't mean you should. In fact I think it's a positively dangerous or even stupid thing to do. It's the equivalent of pulling the pin out of a grenade and just keeping tight hold of the grip so it doesn't go off. Eventually something will cause a big bang and spoil your day. Trust me.

I'm not sure you can have a space in a Linux username, I've never checked. You can try an create a new Windows user, Picard say to keep the facepalm subject relevant and create your Picard user on the Pi and see if that fixes things. Or maybe you need to merely escape the space on any command lines in the normal way (i.e. a \ before the space, i.e. fokke\ nauta

Me, I'd go fix the username to fokkenauta and kill all the issues in one fell swoop.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Like you, its never occurred to me to put a space in a user name: I use an underscore instead since I know that has no bad effects.

I'm fairly sure that escaping a space would work for any Linux/Unix user name since that is generally just another command_line argument since it makes the shell treat both words and the included space as a single parameter, and "\ " may in some cases be silently replaced by a single space if its inside a string. However, I suspect its unlikely to work in windows because I suspect that merely treats "\=" in a user-name entry box as a backslash followed by a space.

Agreed.

Another thought: Linux system and application programs tend to default characters in the range 0x80-0xff to UTF-8 encoding, but what encoding do Windows 10 system and application programs default characters in this range to?

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Thanks.

But how did we get here? By the suggestion to use my Windows user name and password for logging into the Pi share. We have quite a lot of Windows machines here, and all user names are "firstname space surname", and a password. I'm not going to change that. I have started off with the creation of a user in the Pi, with the name "pi" and a password. I thought I should be able to log into the Pi share from my Windows machine, with this user name and password. Although I can see the share from my Windows machines, I can't login. Wrong password, it says. Tried it with Windows 7, running in a virtual machine, and that worked well. But not for Windows 10, what we got here.

Thank you all for all the hints and tips and suggestions, but I have given up.

No logging in the share of the Pi. I use it as a Pi hole, and wanted to log into a share I made. Just for fun, working with a Linux machine. I thought it should work. But it didn't.

Thanks again.

Fokke

Reply to
Fokke Nauta

Have you managed to create a linux user with a space in its name?

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

No. I tried to create my Windows user name on the pi, with sudo smbpasswd -a 'Fokke Nauta', but after twice typing in the password it said: Failed to add entry for user Fokke Nauta.

Reply to
Fokke Nauta

From useradd(8)... Usernames must start with a lower case letter or an underscore, followed by lower case letters, digits, underscores, or dashes. They can end with a dollar sign. In regular expression terms: [a-z_][a-z0-9_-]*[$]?

Usernames may only be up to 32 characters long.

Take this as you will [snip]

--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"

it doesn't like it

[root@tower ~]# adduser "fred bloggs" adduser: invalid user name 'fred bloggs' [root@tower ~]# adduser 'fred bloggs' adduser: invalid user name 'fred bloggs' [root@tower ~]# adduser fred\ bloggs adduser: invalid user name 'fred bloggs'
Reply to
Andy Burns

The smbpasswd(8) command maintains the Samba SMB password file that Samba uses to validate incoming SMB logins against. The current documentation of smbpasswd(8) and it's password file (smbpasswd(5)) indicate that the Samba username... "must be a name that already exists in the standard UNIX passwd file" (see

and

And, the username that already exists in the standard UNIX passwd file is restricted by the rules of useradd(8), where... "Usernames must start with a lower case letter or an underscore, followed by lower case letters, digits, underscores, or dashes. They can end with a dollar sign. In regular expression terms: [a-z_][a-z0-9_-]*[$]?" and, thus, do not contain spaces.

So, to access (by username and password) an SMB share, shared by a Linux user through Samba, the Windows user cannot have a space in their username.

FWIW, samba.org has a wiki

that has loads of documentation on how to successfully set up a samba server, including how to set up users that will be common between Linux and Windows, and how to define, manage, and control user shares. It might be worth your while to look over some of the information there. Take a look at
for the breadth of information available.

[snip]
--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"

Just about every command Linux will take a space or non-ASCII in usernames or filenames, but you'll have to work out how to get them in to the command in an acceptable way. You'll need to know the right combination of quoting characters (backslash space, or enclosing in single or double quotes), that you preferred shell and the command itself takes. You can run in to problems where one command passes an argument to another and removes your quoting, or requires it in a different form, in which case you often need to use the underlying commands directly instead.

Or for an easy life, avoid spaces, use "firstname.lastname"!

---druck

Reply to
druck

Facepalm.

Or in your case face palm!

Reply to
mm0fmf

For what it's worth, you can use the smb.conf(5) "username map" option (see

to map specific Linux usernames to specific Windows usernames. With this, you can have "Fokke Nauta" as your Windows username, and "fokke_nauta" (or any other acceptable Unix username) as your Linux username.

You may have to manipulate the smb.conf "security" settings as well, if you already have a PDC or Active Directory service. In that case, the PDC or ADS provides username/password validation, and some of the smbpasswd restrictions no longer apply.

A long time ago, I administered a Linux/Samba service in a mixed Windows/OS2/Unix/MVS environment, and these are the sorts of things I had to do to have "seamless" shares.

[snip]

HTH

--
Lew Pitcher