BBC Radio on omxplayer

I'm in Australia and they used to block me when trying to download region-restricted videos using rtmpdump. Although I guess that was from a different IP address, and I think the block was in the XML files that had to be looked up to find the relevent "key".

The odd thing is that I get the "The source you requested could not be found." page as well when I try the above URL. It's a HTML page (well, being treated as one anyway, as it's pretty invalid), so it's being sent the same way as the MP3 stream should be. I guess it's possible that the region restrictions only apply to certain streams, so the blocking happens at the stream level, rather than by blocking connections to the server entirely. It seems out of character to block the USA but allow everyone else though, unless it's just a mistake/lazyness.

As for the cookie/login issue: I haven't got any sort of BBC log-in, and I didn't visit the BBC website before trying the stream with mpg321. I've never tried to listen to a BBC Radio stream in a web browser at all, in fact.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Update. There might a playlist/redirect/chunked stream thing going on that your version can't handle (same for omxplayer). I encountered that, redirection in my case, with an older version of mpd, though not with the bbc links. At first I couldn't update because the version I needed wasn't in the Raspbian Jessie repo at the time. Only when they went to Stretch and I updated my system to Stretch, too, did the new version become available in the new repo. If you also need to move up from Jessie to Stretch, burn a new sd card. If you're already on Stretch:

sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

To check your Raspbian/Debian version: cat /etc/apt/sources.list and see what it says before "main".

Reply to
A. Dumas

Yes, that's what I get in firefox on a PC where

manages to play the R2 stream.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not exactly that... (:-/)

This is what *you* get ^^^^^^

But if I do, say, "dig bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net", *I* see "69.164.29.xx"!!

It's a CDN, and I'm connected to a different server! ("..llnw.." is "Limelight Networks")

I replaced the hostname with the IP you connect to, and I'm back listening to R2! (Dunno if I should try to complain to Limelight, or just live with the working hack...)

As one would expect it traces through to the same IP as dig shows. I'm curious, though:

^^^^^^^^^^^^ ... sounds like AT&T. Are you in the US, too? Where? Why are you being served, and I'm not?

Thanks for providing the clue!

-- Pete --

Reply to
Pete

I dunno. I told them I am a 34 year old disabled Afro Carribean woman living in Milton Keynes.

Fuck their demographic analyses.

I can assure you that my Pi has never and can never have a login added to it.

And it works.

On those URLS.

The problem is not with the login process because it ain't required.

I'd more suspect some proxy screw up. '404 not found' is not lack of authentication.

--
There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do
that cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon

for me....

bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net. 60 IN A 178.79.206.138 bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net. 60 IN A 178.79.213.128

!!!!

Ok they have a cluster of servers. Not unusual for streming sericves.

I think what may have happened is that one of their servers has not got the content or is regionalised, and your DNS is being regionalised as well.

Hmm.

check DNS???

--
?it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is because URIs no longer represent actual server directory structures.

Its not too hard to have a database of 'URIS' and pass all pages to a master dispatcher actibve page so that "/stream/bbcmedia_radio2_mf_p" gets mapped to '/somestream.mp3' whereas "/stream/" has no database entry at all.

twenty-first century?s developed world went into hysterical panic over a
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They never did in principle - that's just an implementation artefact of simple web servers, and even when they do it's not uncommon to block access to intermediate levels to hinder bulk scraping.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Not that they ever had to, it was just easy to do that in the early days of web servers, then came rewriting rules and handlers ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Indeed. But its amazing how man 'simple web servers' there used to be out there..

private property.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No they didn't. If those morons implementing them had any notion of what they're doing, it would now be easier than ever to abide by Tim Berners-Lee's old (1998) rule "A cool URI is one which does not change." aka "Web Pages Must Live Forever". As it is, this is just one more example (as if we needed more) to demonstrate how all "advances" on the Web only make things worse. TBL's well thought out system was the way it was for a reason. This includes it's obvious and very deliberate "primitivity".

vide:

see also:

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to
Axel Berger

On Mon, 27 May 2019 07:07:43 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@GOODEVEca.net (Pete) declaimed the following:

ATT U-verse service, Lowell MI.

Which is also why I'm paying Earthlink $8/month to keep my four email addresses active -- I'm too invested in those addresses to look for a new email service, but as AT&T doesn't offer old DSL/POTS in the area I couldn't move my old Earthlink DSL (reseller from AT&T) -- and calling AT&T to install a VOIP phone line, THEN having Earthlink resell the U-verse Internet seemed obscene... Easier to just have AT&T do the direct service. I did lose the Usenet (I was an old Earthlink client, so had been grandfathered) access and had to pick up the lowest Giganews subscription, and about three months ago, lost my 10MB (per address) web space. I configured an RPi-3 and dynamic DNS to replace that.

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

No binaries but free:

A. Dumas

Ditto albasani.net.

--
Of what good are dead warriors? ? Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Domain parked for free by Godaddy". So no web server. Wrong domain name or does it only exist as a news server? That's pretty obscure.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Works here, sure you typed it right?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ha! I know the name Albasini and totally read that. Sorry.

Reply to
A. Dumas

I don't know what you're on about. Both eternal-september.org and albasani.net have websites and both are currently up and running.

Eternal-september went through a bad patch a month or two ago, but that was due to a server replacement and they're good now.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

works for me.