BBC Radio on omxplayer

Figured it had to be somewhere like that.

The problems you describe are the sort of reason I've stayed far away from the Big Boys... I'm handled by a good local company (fifteen minutes away by bike) that give me DSL, mail, web space and a shell account to handle it all. They'r just installing fibre in the area (associated with Sonic) but ATM I don't feel any need.

Cheers,

-- Pete --

Reply to
Pete

Ther are ways around many of the issues the big boys introduce.

In this case it looks like corrupt DNS records, but from where?

I suspect that teh pi os n default dhcp and is using default dns, which may be AT&T's rather than one locally cahced by thee Pi.

shows how to change default PI DNS behaviour

--
?it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
 Click to see the full signature

On 27 May 2019 16:13:52 GMT, A. Dumas declaimed the following:

Since Giganews had been sourcing Earthlink for some years, was easier to just reset the groups in Agent to Giganews from Earthlink server.

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

On Tue, 28 May 2019 06:32:54 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@GOODEVEca.net (Pete) declaimed the following:

I'd started with a Netcom dial-up shell account (and ran TIA [a SLIrP competitor] on it before moving to full Netcruiser (Netcruiser used to be proprietary protocol and I was on an Amiga at the time). Netcom was sucked up by Mindspring, which was absorbed by Earthlink. But the DSL service was just resold from AT&T -- since the phone lines were AT&T equipment.

AT&T no longer offers DSL in my area (they did in Kentwood during the 5 years I was there), so Earthlink couldn't "move" my DSL service to Lowell. and as mentioned, while I could have signed up for Earthlink's high-speed service, that really means having to get a phone line from AT&T, having Earthlink schedule a tech to come out and install the u-Verse compatible modem, and having AT&T convert from POTS to u-Verse service. Much simpler to just let AT&T bundle u-Verse, (VOIP) phone, along with DirectTV dish as one bill.

It's a good thing I only used four of the 8 email addresses my DSL service allowed -- the $8/month email-only service is limited to five addresses. These are distinct mailboxes, not multiple addresses forwarding into a single mailbox.

{Hmmm, I should maybe create that fifth email -- just to rig one for "admin" emails for my RPi server }

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

Just as a coda, I've been using the working IP, but I went back and checked "

" and it's now working for me again as well. Somebody's temporary mistake, I guess.

So I'm happy again...

-- Pete --

Reply to
Pete