64Gbyte flash memory - hot stuff, unfortunately

A fair and balanced summary that I totally agree with.

kind word alone.

Al Capone
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I tried Notepad++ years ago but couldn't get used to it. Can't remember why now.

Notepad is fine for me. Once line wrap is turned off, Notepad will allow you to jump to a line by number. That's all I really need other than basic editing.

--
James Harris
Reply to

My fellow Linux users have recommended Geany on a number of occasions with good reason

it is also available for Windows, give it a try.

--
Atlanta:
	An entire city surrounded by an airport.

On Thu, 06 Apr 2017 09:37:34 +0200, Axel Berger declaimed the following:

SciTE seems fairly useful; supports all three line-end conversions, and has a command to convert to the currently selected convention. Lots of configuration files for different programming languages...

Dennis Lee Bieber

I can't see why I should want to. I am happy with vi and Notepad, and they are built in!

--
James Harris
Reply to

WEll I personally write a fair amount of C and PHP and the use of punctuation highlighting makes a huge difference to bug finding and the like, as well as the ability to have half a dozen files - make file, library, main file, headers etc - open as well is useful. Sure you can run multiple consoles, but I prefer geany.

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Time to give it another try then.

Well if you can be happy with Notepad, vi is overkill, ed on a teletype would be the Linux equivalent.

---druck

druck

I write a lot of C, C++ and Python these days, vim does a fine job of syntax highlighting.

I use urxvt with tabs, worksforme, I'd probably like geany if ICBA to learn another editor, but my fingers have decades of vi embedded.

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

MS used to have an equivalent - remember edlin?

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

I don't know if you realize it, but you said several times that Geany is not really an IDE without explaining what is lacking that makes it not "real".

So I looked at Geany and it is interesting. But they don't support the terminal emulation function under Windows. In reading why I don't get what they are saying. Can I get a translation?

"Windows build differences

Some features are missing:

embedded terminal emulation (VTE, as far as I know there is nothing equal for Windows) "

Is VTE a package that is used to provide the terminal emulation in Geany and this package is not available (or anything like it) under Windows?

I read something recently that said we can read words that have letters very jumbled as long as the first and last letter are right. I get tired of correcting my typing errors and might start testing this threoy. I wnoedr how mnay wlil fnid it obcejtnoialbe?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Yes, and I also remember entering hex on a keypad. I don't think I've ever toggled a bootloader in using toggle switches though. I'm not

*that* old!
--

Rick C
Reply to

In college, when I worked at the campus TV cable head end, professors would call in to schedule tapes (mostly U-matic 3/4" videocassettes) to be played on the cable for their classes, and students could call in to schedule individual showings. The schedule was kept on a PDP-11, IIRC an 11/23. When on the first morning shift, one of the duties was to boot up the PDP-11 using toggle switches to get the machine to read the cassette tape that held the program and data.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net

Seems like an appointment book would have done the job pretty well without needing an engineering degree. lol

--

Rick C
Reply to

rickman said

I am! I think my fingers still know most of the octal bootstraps for the PDP-15 and the PDP-11/45 that I used in the mid-1970s.

Regarding editors and fingers, I've recently been using VMS on a simulated VAX (on a Pi3), and was surprised that my fingers still knew the keypad edit sequences for EDT after 20 years of not using it.

On Windows I use Textpad as my primary editor - simple but does syntax highlighting, and a try before buy business model and low cost.

Regards,

--
Paul at the paulhardy.net domain
Reply to

as i was replying to Daniel James who could said he could not get on with notepad+ I wasn't suggesting you should

--
May a hundred thousand midgets invade your home singing cheesy lounge-
lizard

Geany on Linux has a panel that gives you access to the Linux command line, a very useful feature.

I did not realise until now that it was missing from the windows version (then again the windows command line is limited so maybe no so huge a loss)

--
Quark!  Quark!  Beware the quantum duck!
Reply to

On 07/04/2017 04:51, rickman wrote: []

For the Raspberry Pi, I find the supplied "nano" quite adequate.

--
Cheers,
David

Altogether now, for PDP11 aficionados ..

16701 26 12702 352

... and the rest escapes me in a senior moment.

Reply to
Gareth's Downstairs Computer

In the UNIX/Linux world the terminal emulator is just another GUI application. xterm came as part of Xorg-s X11 package, XFCE provides xfce4-terminal and there are others - take your pick.

However, Windows is different. The command-line console, aka 'the dos box' is a built-in part of Windows from as far back as I remember - if you need an X11 terminal you install an X11 app like PuTTY and this can only be used to provide remote access. Since the Windows console is built in, it may be difficult or impossible to launch it from within another application such as geany.

Certainly, the only Windows editors I've used that provided command line access were either run in the dosbox (microEmacs) or had their own, fairly basic, command line interface (PFE).

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

I've done that on an ICL mainframe.

Our operators could toggle the bootloader in from memory on the 1902 I first used - it was meant to be loaded by the system pulsing a wire threaded through the ferrite cores when the CPU was switched on but this failed from time to time. Cue toggling it in.

Somewhat later, our 1903S had a uniselector added on. This was a single channel serial port that could drive an ASR33 teletype (remember those?) but the Executive module that drove it was wrong, so I got to toggle in corrections each time I used it until it was replaced with a scanner, which did the same job but handled higher baud rates over several serial connections and was supported by George 3, the ICL 1900 multi-user, multitasking OS.

Imagine that: 4 ASR33 terminals and a a remote job entry device with card reader and printer, all run by a mainframe with 32Kwords (96KB equivalent) of ferrite core memory, 0.3 MHz clock speed, two 60MB disk drives and eight tape decks. Tell that to the young folk these days and they'll never believe you!

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK