64Gbyte flash memory - hot stuff, unfortunately

Correct. As I said above. But (a) I don't have root access and (b) I would quite like to keep this job, which perhaps I didn't make clear enough, so I shan't be trying to set any of them up.

--
Mike Fleming
Reply to

How are you accessing it at all? If you are using ssh, then its 99% certain that sftp will work, and you have all you need to 'mount' filesystems that you are able to access anyway.

IN most cases installing the sshd, will also enable default sftp services.

Client wise, this is pretty much it

fully understood.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

NFS, sshfs, samba, X11 C&P ... there's four options :)

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

X cut and paste? Thank you, thank you, thank you!

--
/~\  cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.

Well, I wasn't puzzled. I was 100% sure a cat had walked across the keyboard while you were posting ... :)

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk
Reply to
Mike

I use vi a lot but didn't know any of that! In other words, that was from the advanced vi obfuscation class. ;-)

--
James Harris
Reply to

Wow! I think of that as fairly basic, just buffers and simple file manipulation (opening, reading, rewind), the kind of thing I do without thinking (at least until I lose track of what's in which buffer) - unlike say.

:.-2,.+5!sort

Or

!}tr '[A-Za-z]' '[N-ZA-Mn-za-m]'

Or using map which always makes me think too hard, or playing clever games with the 9 cut buffers to shuffle text around which takes far too much concentration to get right.

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

I think perhaps the "I mentioned RPi so this long off-topic post is not really off-topic" comment is a humorous acknowledgement that a post is indeed (mostly) off-topic.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Using Synergy it even works across desktops.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Actually, I added that RPi reference at the end of the post rickman mentioned because I really had checked out the microemacs build directory on my RPi from the CVS repository on my Fedora-based home server, changed reference point to its build directory, run "make" and a few seconds later had the microemacs running on the RPi exactly the same as it does on my other host machines.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

My mistake - I should probably have written "is sometimes/often a humorous acknowledgement ..." although I did prefix my statement with "perhaps".

Reply to
Rob Morley

No, I said that I heartily recommend Notepad++ (two pluses) if you have to use Windows. It was James Harris who said he couldn't get on with it.

I should, perhaps, have said that I'm also quite fond of Geany on Linux (but haven't used it on Windows), but also use Vi(m).

In the long distant past I've been quite fond of Brief and CodeWright, but they're not exactly current ...

--
Cheers,
 Daniel.

Well there is Crisp - but it's commercial and expensive.

-- Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays C:>WIN | A better way to focus the sun The computer obeys and wins. | licences available see You lose and Bill collects. |

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

lol! EDT! I used to work programming with the guy who developed the EDT successor VaxTPU. We both used vi ;o) Later on he did bring in a Unix version of VaxTPU but I don't think anyone ever used it.

Reply to
Nick

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 15:45:49 +0100, Nick declaimed the following:

I had configured the Alcor Pascal Blaise editor to respond to most of the EDT function keys (a bit tricky as the TRS-80 Mod-4 only had three function keys on the numeric pad).

Never used TPU, and haven't located documentation on LSE or EVE (it was easier for me to FTP from the VMS emulation to Windows, edit, and FTP back over to build).

Dennis Lee Bieber

Can't run ftpd. Can't install anything. No root privilege, all of which I've said above.

Can't install. See above.

Can't install. See above.

--
Mike Fleming
Reply to

but you may not have to is the server already running ssh most are in which case scp sftp or sshfs could be used to copy files.

if not then how is your terminal emulator connecting?

--
Yow!  Am I in Milwaukee?
Reply to

...which is what he said in the first place: ?Sadly for me, vi is my only option?.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Reply to

Sneakernet. He types a command into a file and mails a USB stick with the file. Someone at the other then plugs the USB stick into the machine and redirects stdio from the file. This is such an improvement over the 5-1/4 inch floppy days!

--

Rick C
Reply to

I mean USB sticks are so much faster!