Yamaha Amp cutting out !

I am new to this forum and I want to thank anyone in advance who can help me with my problem. My friend's stereo amplifier has not worked for a while and I just surprised her by replacing her amp ( Onkyo ) with a Yamaha A 700. After connecting everything the stereo seemed to work fine but then the sound suddenly cut off ( with an audible click) the came back on a few seconds latter. This would happen everytime I turned up the volume or changed the balance or switched from stereo to mono. Apparently this is what happened with her old amp!! The amp seems to cut off in response to some increased load. She live in an old row home that has been partially rewired. The outlet is fused to a 20 amp fuse, and the fuse does not blow.The speaker wire runs through the walls and connected to terminals on a wall plate. A TV pluged into the same outlet works fine. (not running TV at the same time). there is no hum or distortion and the amp does not feel hot. At low vol it plays without cutting out. What could be the problem ?

Reply to
Hfred

Measure the DC ohms of the system. You can buy a cheap tester if you don't have one. Disconnecte the stereo and measure for low ohms. The reading should be somewhere above 6 ohms or thereabouts. If it says 3 ohms you have trouble. You should also have infinite ohms between left and right normally, allthough a common line might be used and be OK, but in some cases not be OK. greg

Reply to
GregS

Shorted speaker wires. If the wall plate is metal, that's where I'd check first. Easy test. Obtain some speaker wire and hook the speakers directly up to the amplifier and see if the problem remains. If it does, then the speakers are faulty. Rare but it occasionally happens. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Look for old glue that has dried out and absorbed moisture from the air and become corrosive, particularly around the PS caps.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

The speaker boxes may have a fault, or are much too low in impedance for the amplifiers. Sometimes especially low cost speakers or the crossovers can go defective, and cause amplifier problems.

--

JANA _____

Reply to
JANA

Classic speaker wire problem.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

and

In both units?

Reply to
Michael Ware

You say both units have the same symptoms? Just take a pair of simple, 8 ohm speakers (that you know are in working order) and some wire over to her house and hook up her amp to them, directly. Crank it up and see if it still does it.

I am with the other posters on this, either there is a wiring problem somewhere, or a speaker problem. You don't mention the brand/model/impedence of the speakers you are using. Just look on the back of them, it's likely the impedence is on a label back there.

Reply to
Michael Ware

I wouldn't discount the ventilation issues that I raised earlier. If he put the TT on top of the receiver, or otherwise reduced its breathing room (a good bet) in order to accommodate the TT; it could very well cause the symptoms described.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert