Windows XP Freezing

My hard drive died and I replaced it. I re-installed Windows XP from my emachine resotre disk and XP freezes about 5 minutes after loading. I also get an error message when I try to log in saying something to the effect of, could not load profile due to registry file not in registry format.

The hard drive was auto set to slave. I thought it may be memory but put in an additional 512 stick which did not help.

Please help! Thanks!!!

Reply to
joek2002

My hard drive died and I replaced it. I re-installed Windows XP from my emachine resotre disk and XP freezes about 5 minutes after loading. I also get an error message when I try to log in saying something to the effect of, could not load profile due to registry file not in registry format.

The hard drive was auto set to slave. I thought it may be memory but put in an additional 512 stick which did not help.

Please help! Thanks!!!

Reply to
joek2002

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1161618757.977764.47130 @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Try restoring the stuff from the disc again. If it says something about deleting (replacing) all information or formatting might was well let it do it... Unless you have somehow put important information on it. (The OS does not count.)

Puckdropper

Puckdropper

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 08:52:36 -0700, joek2002 Has Frothed:

Sounds like it didn't get installed properly. Format and try it again.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

i would check the Power supply, CPU for heat damage, Clogged heat sink etct..

--
"I am never wrong, once i thought i was, but i was mistaken"
Real Programmers Do things like this.

If there's only one hard drive, it should be the master, not the slave. If necessary, go into your CMOS configuration menu and make sure that the drive is set as the master. It might be set to slave by a shorting jumper on the drive. Check the user's manual for the specific configuration options.

Then, let the CMOS configuration program auto recognize the new drive. It should make all the necessary settings in CMOS.

Partition and format the drive, and you should be off to the races.

Cheers!!!!

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.
Reply to
DaveM

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Why would expandign the memory fix this? Surely you mean you replaced the memory?

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

Hard disks with no other installed on that IDE channel should be set to master.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Is it possible you are reloading from 'read only' media, and the reloaded files have maintained that attribute?

Just a thought...

Regards, Jim

Reply to
jrshedden

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Just to be picky, Clint Sharp did not write that...

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

is the disc your trying to install for that machine or another machine? if it is for another machine then it will not work because is is looking for the specific componants for that machine and was made for that machine only you need a stand alone real windows disc.

Reply to
David Naylor