Ipod 3G 20GB windows xp operating system

I unplugged my ipod while it was in "Disk Mode" and the screen said "Do Not Disconnect". Now I can't get my PC to recognize it. I may have damaged the hard drive. I ran a hard drive test and it failed. It is hard for me to believe that what I did could have damaged the ipod beyond repair. Does anybody know what I can do to fix it?

Reply to
lauricek

reformatting it might do the trick. try reloading your ipod software and it will try to detect the corrupted drive and reformat it.

remember that the Filesystem of an ipod is different from XP

:) hth

Reply to
happykamote

I doubt that you damaged the drive, but you certainly could have interrupted an update that left it seriously confused.

Go to Apple.com/support. There are 5 or 6 steps recommended, from which you can do one or more to "fix" your iPod. Do them, do not take any innovative steps such as trying to format the drive. Don't try to treat it qs though it is just another hard drive. It isn't.

Don

Reply to
Don Bowey

Try a "reboot" first: if I recall, just hold menu + center buttons for a few seconds. May startup again without need to reload all your songs.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Reply to

"do not take any innovative steps such as trying to format the drive"

innovative. right.

:)

Reply to
happykamote

I doubt you damaged the hardware itself, if it is actually bad then it's probably a coincidence.

What I suspect happened is you unplugged it before the write cache had cleared and corrupted the partition on the disk. Go to Administrative Tools in the control panel and then find Disk Management, plug in the drive and see if it shows up, you should be able to create a new partition on it.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks for the advice but it didn't work; my pc does not recognize the ipod. Every time I hook it to the computer USB port it goes into "DISK MODE" and displays the "Do Not Disconnect" until I shut down the computer. I appreciate any advice.

Reply to
lauricek

I tried that but the ipod didn't show up on the computer. Every time I hook it to the computer USB port it goes into "DISK MODE" and displays the "Do Not Disconnect" until I shut down the computer. I appreciate any advice.

Reply to
lauricek

You tried What?

The reason people quote the post to which they are responding, is so everyone can make some sense of the new post. Hint hint.....

Have you turned off the disk mode in iTunes? Did you try the suggestions and downloads at the Apple site?

Reply to
Don Bowey

better put back to default mode ;)

we love google.