Which Brandss of cordless phones most reliable

Just ran a spectrum. Strong signal at 1930.9MHz. Plus a really fat one at 1901.1MHz. Dang.

Yup, looks like it :-(

I am not at all sure about them being fine. All our previous phones operated in the 2.45GHz band. You could stand right next to the WLAN router while it was cranking some fat PDF file and happily talk it up. No interference. They must have done somthing right.

Problem is, all the phones offered around here are now DECT.

I have a CDMA phone (Sprint network) and never had one call dropped. Not inside an airplane nor anywhere else.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

P.S.: Just spectrum-analyzed the phone system itself. It operates at

1926.9MHz with about 1.4MHz bandwidth. Needless to say, no pointers in the manual whatsoever on how to move that down in the band a bit :-(

But the manual does say not to put heavy objects on top of the phone, in English and in Spanish ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

vkamobile phone

On Tuesday, 1 September 2009 03:06:45 UTC+1, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote :

Well, I am surprised by the positive comments on Panasonic Dect phones. Ea ch of the 5 handsets on my Panasonic system have failed one by one. Now on ly 3 years after purchase I have to buy another complete set and start over . I will NEVER buy another Panasonic phone. It's all very well having the fancy functions, but not if you can't make or receive a call on it! Troub le is, what to buy that's going to be reliable?

Reply to
tom.rice50

Any more reliable than some idiot British Google Groups user who resurrecting a four year old thread? My Panasonic KX-TGA600S phones are over seven years old, and still have the original batteries. They still hold a good charge, and are used almost daily.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

But the key point, since he resurrected a four year old thread, is whether any of the phones that were discussed are still available. I thought a lot of consumer items were basically one run things, when they run out a new model is issued, if for no other reason than the parts that were in the previous model may not be readily available. Functionally they stay the same, but model numbers and innards may be different.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

[...]

Had to paste above for some reason..

I still got a trusty analog well over predicted life. Same battery. My unison phones randomly goes into privacy mode for 20 seconds, then I say, I was off for 20 seconds. Hope the new phones, still in box, work. They seem to change models often, and most of the phones, various brands, are much the same.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Well, I am surprised by the positive comments on Panasonic Dect phones. Each of the 5 handsets on my Panasonic system have failed one by one. Now only 3 years after purchase I have to buy another complete set and start over. I will NEVER buy another Panasonic phone. It's all very well having the fancy functions, but not if you can't make or receive a call on it! Trouble is, what to buy that's going to be reliable?

Why don't your open up the battery compartment and check to see what kind of batteries are in it. The panasonic phone I have has 2 AAA NiCD batteries in. I found a battery store in town called them and replaced all 6 batteries in 3 phones for $12.00.

Reply to
Shaun

NiMh.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

But I think the point was whether the phone uses a battery pack, or just regular off the shelf AA cells.

The former, you either need to put togehter a replacement pack, or buy one, which can be expensive. If the latter, jsut about any AA will work so you have options if there is a problem.

There does seem to be a move to regular AA cells (though obviously in the form of nimh), which certainly makes the phones more useful.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

if there is a problem, I can always use a different handset. I keep the base and two phones in my bedroom. One on the computer desk, and the other on a charger by my bed. The third phone is near the back door. I paid nothing for these phones. They were given to me used, when a relative decided to drop their landline. They sat in storage for a year before they remembered to give me the box, with the NiMh batteries installed.

More useful? The phones I have are over seven years old, with the original NiMh packs that are dirt cheap to replace.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

if there is a problem, I can always use a different handset. I keep the base and two phones in my bedroom. One on the computer desk, and the other on a charger by my bed. The third phone is near the back door. I paid nothing for these phones. They were given to me used, when a relative decided to drop their landline. They sat in storage for a year before they remembered to give me the box, with the NiMh batteries installed.

More useful? The phones I have are over seven years old, with the original NiMh packs that are dirt cheap to replace.

They are dirt cheap wonder boy IF you go to a dedicated battery store and get the cells or have them make a new pack for you their. If you go to a regular department store you'll pay an arm and a leg for the batteries. The prices are so bad at regular store you might as well buy new phones!

Shaun

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Shaun

Who pays retail for batteries, if they repair electronics? The Panasonic batteries were under $4 a set, the last time I looked into the cost.

The Uniden phones I had on the other phone line died before their batteries, and they were cheap Nicad packs that sell for under $3.

BTW, ar there 'Irregular department stores'?

Where do all of you knuckle dragging fools come from? I hope you aren't the dumbass 'Shaun' I worked with in Cincinnati, in the mid '80s. OTOH that's highly unlikely, since he should be dead of alcohol poisioning by now.

What have you ever done in electronics, other than hang around 'Regular department stores'?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Who pays retail for batteries, if they repair electronics? The Panasonic batteries were under $4 a set, the last time I looked into the cost.

The Uniden phones I had on the other phone line died before their batteries, and they were cheap Nicad packs that sell for under $3.

BTW, ar there 'Irregular department stores'?

Where do all of you knuckle dragging fools come from? I hope you aren't the dumbass 'Shaun' I worked with in Cincinnati, in the mid '80s. OTOH that's highly unlikely, since he should be dead of alcohol poisioning by now.

What have you ever done in electronics, other than hang around 'Regular department stores'?

I have Two College Diplomas, one In Electronic Technology and the other in Biomedical Technology. I Certified as an Engineering Technologist in my Country. I have an Advanced amateur Radio License just because.

I have worked in a Hospital for 15 years testing and repairing Medical Electronics - it was a one Man shop. I have worked at repairing industrial electronics and doing calibrations of different types of meters for 4 years. I have built a medium sized Tesla Coil that makes 4 to 5 foot sparks in all directions. I build my own computers and fix computers.

Shaun

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Shaun

Not that big a deal these days. Back in the late 1940s/early 1950s it was indeed a big deal to build a computer:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Roger Blake (Change "invalid" to "com" for email. Google Groups killfiled.)

"Climate policy has almost nothing to do anymore with environmental protection... the next world climate summit in Cancun is actually an economy summit during which the distribution of the world's resources will be negotiated." -- Ottmar Edenhofer, IPCC

Roger Blake

Good for you. I started repairing electronics in 1965. Back when the entire RCA replacement transistor line was germanium transistors, and the cross reference was the size of a small movie poster, or a fold up price chart for tube prices. At the end of my time in manufacturing, I was hand soldering ICs with leads spaced .015" center to center under a stereo microscope and doing a better job than the brand new Heller reflow oven.

Yawn, I built Telemetry equipment for the Aerospace industry for four years. I also worked as an engineering tech, did failure analysis and worked in the cal lab. Some of my design work went into orbit as part of the ISS, and I was a broadcast at three TV stations from the early '70s to the late '90s. I have a letter of commendation from the US Army for work I did at a station in Alaska. I never bothered with a ham license, since most of the hams I knew were lids. Too stupid to solder a mic plug, or wire a straight key to a 1'4" plug. They would blow up their rigs, and I would repair them.

Built one bigger than that in 1969. Anyone who can read and chew gum at the same time can wind the output coil for a Tesla coil.

I built a two meter repeater on 146.01/61 MHz for my school's ham radio club. One of the TV stations I worked at was an empty building before I laid out the equipment room, installed the transmitter and processing racks. That was a 1952 model TTU-25B UHF TV transmitter on Ch. 58 that was built by RCA. Parts were no longer available from RCA, since they were out of the broadcast business. That only made the job slightly harder, since there had been no new final tubes made for about

20 years, and no company had managed to rebuild one that could put out anywhere near the rated power. Nice water cooled stainless steel jugs with 7 KVDC across the coolant. Twin 1000A 1.5V filaments that had to be balanced by stretching copper bussbars used as variable resistors.

Anyone with a screwdriver & box of parts can assemble a computer. Let me know when you design your own from scratch.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

My God..... you must be really old!! Germanium transistors... I've replaced a few of those. I've never had to work with a microscope, I guess you needed it to see your dick.

That reflow oven wasn't set up right or you weren?t using enough flux!. It should look the same a skilled hand soldering.

Yawn, I built Telemetry equipment for the Aerospace industry for four years. I also worked as an engineering tech, did failure analysis and worked in the cal lab. Some of my design work went into orbit as part of the ISS, and I was a broadcast at three TV stations from the early '70s to the late '90s. I have a letter of commendation from the US Army for work I did at a station in Alaska. I never bothered with a ham license, since most of the hams I knew were lids. Too stupid to solder a mic plug, or wire a straight key to a 1'4" plug. They would blow up their rigs, and I would repair them.

I've built a repeater controller in College for my final project. It sent out morse code ID, it had voice and you could change the way it operated with a DTMF pad on a radio tuned to the I/P frequency. It was pretty fancy for a college project.

I doubt yours would have preformed that well. There is a LOT more to it than that. There are a lot of calculations to determine the secondary resonant frequency, primary frequency range, mutual inductance, coupling, matching the step up transformer to the capacitor size so that you get the most power output; stuff like that. Otherwise it is hit or miss and you may tune the tesla coil to work on a harmonic which results in lower power output and improper tuning.

My output coil is wound on 4.0 inch white PVC tubing, thin wall which is ideal. I sanded in inside and outside, cleaned it with alcohol and let it dry while blowing hot air threw it. Coated the inside and outside on the PVC tube with 2 or 3 coats of polyurethane to seal it. I put the coated tube in the freezer so it would shrink, then I wound the coil, no kinks, no overlaps, no spaces between turns, about 1200 turns of 26 gauge magnet wire. Then over the course of two weeks I coated it 12 times with polyurethane while it was slowly turning and I'd sand away any air bubbles that I saw. It worked very well.

Shaun

I built a two meter repeater on 146.01/61 MHz for my school's ham radio club. One of the TV stations I worked at was an empty building before I laid out the equipment room, installed the transmitter and processing racks. That was a 1952 model TTU-25B UHF TV transmitter on Ch. 58 that was built by RCA. Parts were no longer available from RCA, since they were out of the broadcast business. That only made the job slightly harder, since there had been no new final tubes made for about

20 years, and no company had managed to rebuild one that could put out anywhere near the rated power. Nice water cooled stainless steel jugs with 7 KVDC across the coolant. Twin 1000A 1.5V filaments that had to be balanced by stretching copper bussbars used as variable resistors.

--
>Anyone wanting to run for any political office in the US should have to
>have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Shaun

Didn't Comark (division of Thomson Multimedia) service RCA customers well into the 1990s? When I went to IOT school in 1995 they still sold RCA renewal parts. Comark bought RCA (including the rights to Nipper). Now they are both part of Thales, a French defense contractor.

Reply to
dave

They still sold some custom uncased silver mica caps that were used as coupling capacitors for the 4CX250 drivers, but not much else. The custom made final tubes were made by their transmitting tube division, and when RCA shut it down, they destroyed all the design and assembly information. One of the old RCA Transmitting Tube manuals had a simplified schematic, and the data sheets for the 12.5 & 25 KW UHF water cooled power tetrodes. The transmitters were considered obsolete and EOL, so parts that were designed strictly for that model were NLA. That custom Mica cap was used in some RCA FM transmitters that used the same basic chassis as the aural stage of the TTU-1 and TTU-25 series TV transmitters. Why keep making parts for a transmitter that was considered too low power for new builds? The two final tubes were designed for that one series of transmitters.