Where to get gears for inside of a DVD player?

There is a plastic part inside my DVD player that is broken. Where can I get the part?

The DVD player came out of an Xbox 360 and it is a Hitachi GDR-3120L FK78 drive. I've opened it up and there are several gears inside. One is a rack that slides left to right as the tray opens and closes. There is a pin sticking out of it that moves in a track on the tray. This pin is broken. I need to replace this entire piece. The piece has this number stamped on it - JD5X WW2-4.

To see a picture of it click here:

On the left side of that picture there is a rack and pinion. The rack is shown vertically with the teeth near the bottom. At the top is small pin, that is part of the rack, and it is broken. Where can I get this part?

Thanks, Don

Reply to
chambersdon

Just replace the drive, unless you find a pile of identical dead drives with good gears.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You need a specific drive, not just any will work. You may be able to find a drive by the same manufacture which contains the same mechanical parts, it's probably cheapest to buy a whole drive to get the parts.

Reply to
James Sweet

You can't just replace the drive. There is a ROM that must be flashed when doing this. You are supposed to send it to Microsoft for repair and the cost is almost a much as a new one. I've been told that they just send you a new one.

Reply to
chambersdon

I have seen that drive in something else, but I'm blowed if I can remember what. In any event, you are unlikely to be able to get individual parts. At best it would be a sub-deck without the laser fitted, but in general, such decks are supplied complete.

Usually, broken pins can be 'remade'. It's normally possible to find a similar sized pin-shaped piece of plastic on a scrap deck, that can be culled, and grafted into the bad deck by drilling through where the original pin has broken off, and then 'tight fitting' the replacement pin with a spot of superglue. The whole job can then be reinforced with a small amount of two part epoxy resin, set around where the pin meets the surface it is set in. If you can't find a suitable plastic pin, you can sometimes get away with using a small nail, suitably cut down and filed, which you again fit through a drilled hole, until the head comes up against the piece that you are fitting it to. You can then apply the tip of a soldering iron to the nail head, to melt it into the plastic. Finish off with two part epoxy, as before.

I do this sort of repair all the time to 'save' items for my customers, which would otherwise be an economic write off. If the deck was working ok electronically, before suffering its mechanical failure, then you might as well give it a go. It's knackered now from a practical point of view, so you really haven't got anything to lose by trying.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Gears can be repaired. Those made of ABS or PVC are best repaired with solvent, such as lacquer thinner, acetone, carburetor cleaner spray, or radio-tv cement. If solvent doesn't affect the plastic, then the gear is made of nylon or derlin and can't be repaired well except by melting it with a soldering iron. I've fixed cracks and replaced missing teeth this way. Do not use super glue because it simply won't stick well enough to plastic.. If a gear is damaged around the hub, it's best to reinforce the hub by pressing a ring of metal around it, gluing it in place with epoxy.

Reply to
rantonrave

Sigh. I didn't say to replace the drive, I said to find identical drives to harvest gears from.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida