can't get my DVD/CD player to open

Hi,

In the summer of 2005, I purchased a Yamaha DVX-C700 900 Watts Cinema Series stereo system. Worked great for a while. Then I moved and put it away. I just pulled it out of storage after it was out of use for about six months. Now, when I turn it on, and try to open it by pressing the open trey button on the front of the receiver, the system indicates that it is "OPEN" but the tray does not slide out.

Any ideas how I can troubleshoot this?

Thanks, - Dave

Reply to
laredotornado

Could be something as simple as a belt gone sticky, or dried up grease. Is there any sound of a motor trying to run, or even the slightest attempt by the drawer, to open when you press the button? Generally, such problems are not hard to diagnose once you can get a look at the mech. Your first move has got to be to remove the cover and just have a look.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thanks for your reply.

It does make a sound when I push the "open" button. Also, I should note that I can't remember if there are any CDs in there or not, but when I try to load any of the 5 CD areas, the dial is just stuck on "LOAD 1", for example, if I press the 1st CD button.

- Dave

Reply to
laredotornado

If it was working before you put it away, and you can hear a motor attempting to open it, then I would definitely be looking for a 'simple' cause, such as belt or dried grease, as I suggested, rather than an alignment problem which is causing it to jam. Covers off, Mk I eyeball as the primary diagnostic tool. The cause will probably jump out at you.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

The OP said the dialog tells him the tray is open. I'm just wondering if the unit was damaged during his move. The mech must have a positional sensing switch to tell the mpu what state it's in. You know where I'm going from here....

Reply to
Meat Plow

He does indeed say this, but many players don't actually have to be open for the display to say "OPEN". In many cases, it just tells you what it *thinks* it should be doing. In the same way, they will often announce "CLOSE" as soon as the button is pressed from the open condition. In fact thinking about it, I actually have a Pan H.C. system on the bench right now (that won't do what the customer says is wrong with it, of course - don'cha just luv 'em? ) which does exactly that. As soon as you press the open/close button, the display immediately comes up "OPEN" even though it's about another half hour before it actually does, whilst it farts about determining that's what you really want to do, and spins down the disc, and picks its teeth, and so on. You know the score, I'm sure ...

If this is a simple tray with a carousel mech, as opposed to a complex disc stacker or one with multiple trays, I think I would still be looking for a simple cause first. Anyway, back to the OP - you must have had a chance to look by now, anything to report ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

You may have moved it with a CD or DVD inside, and its shifted out of the tray. Remove the cover and have a look.

Deke

Reply to
Deke

Yeh you're right as usual :) My Lite On "All Write" stand alone DVD burner does say "OPEN" when you hit the eject button. So it's not really telling what state it's in just what command was given.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Another poster suggested there might have been a CD inside that dislodged from the "carousel" if that's the design, during your move and has jammed things up. Take the top off and check it out.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I've had to do that with my daughter's DVD player twice within a month now - her two year old shoving CDs in it - She's had 3 or 4 stuffed in there - at a time - locking it up.

Reply to
Radiosrfun

That's a good thought Dave. Whenever I get a unit in for repair that has a disc or discs in it, I always send them back separately wrapped in a sheet of paper. A displaced disc in the works can cause nightmare problems ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

When you moved it full of disks one of the disks could have fell out of its tray and is jamming it . Take the top off and look

Reply to
Ken G.