Where can I get a rooftop TV antenna, installed, on a budget?

Set the rabbit ears on the roof and set a brick on it .

Reply to
Ken G.

As I noted, the antenna comes in amplified and non-amplified versions. The amplified version can have the amplifier switched off without killing all signals, a fact the reviewer failed to mention. Methinks it was operator error on his part more than the failure of the antenna.

In as much as "rabbit ears" do a horrible job at best in receiving UHF signals, such a comparison would be useless. *That* is one reason that the post praising "the TV's rabbit ears" over any indoor antenna was so laughable.

Those that are using their TV's rabbit ears with a converter box to receive digital transmissions are not getting all of the signals. Period.

Reply to
UCLAN

Who uses rabbit ears for UHF? All TV's with a UHF tuner have a terminal for hookup of a UHF loop.

Reply to
tnom

it

someone

I don't remember the poster praising rabbit ears over _any_ indoor antenna -- just the Terk. Are you certain he's wrong -- or lying?

People often have simple antennas lying around. You don't claim an expensive product is good or superior without comparing it with exisiting products. That's called a "control".

Some years back, when attending the SCES, I bought, on impulse, a Terk indoor amplified FM antenna. As I said earlier, it was audibly inferior to a piece of wire. I need to explain this.

At that time, I lived in Bellevue, WA, around the corner from Microsoft. This was an area of severe multipath, which (despite the high signal levels), would have justified a directional antenna. On some stations, it was necessary to adjust antennas to minimize the multipath, or you'd have audible distortion and breakup. This was not a problem with the wire, but the Terk could not be positioned to eliminate the distortion.

Amplification is not suitable compensation for an undersized antenna. (Many years ago I asked an engineer at Channel Master whether it was possible to design a "tiny" multi-element antenna that discarded gain in favor of directionality. He said it wasn't.)

You know this as fact?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

In your original post of this thread (about receiving DTV signals, many of which are UHF): "Several indoor antennas work significantly better that rabbit ears? I think not. If his rabbit ears won't work then a super duper amplified "As Seen on TV" antenna would be a waste of money.

Rabbit ears for UHF DTV signals? I think not.

Reply to
UCLAN

His post, in part "Several indoor antennas work significantly better that rabbit ears? I think not. If his rabbit ears won't work then a super duper amplified "As Seen on TV" antenna would be a waste of money."

NOBODY had yet even mentioned Terk antennas.

But yes, the Terk I later mention is just ONE of several that work better than rabbit ears, and that was with several DTV converter boxes.

Reply to
UCLAN

In my book the term "Rabbit Ears" assumes that if your TV is new enough to have a UHF tuner then it will also have the UHF loop which is the UHF equivalent to Rabbit Ears.

Reply to
tnom

Go to

Click on the TV Signal Locater button. Enter your address. You'll get a list, sorted in order of descending estimated signal strength, of all the available stations. Part of the list is a column showing the pointing azimuth from the address for each station. If the transmitters are all in one spot, that simplifies life greatly.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

. Don't hurt yourself.

It's been at least ten years since I've seen TVs with a VHF and a UHF antenna input. Most TVs have ONE antenna input - for an F connector - and assume the antenna is a combo VHF/UHF antenna. You gonna hook the VHF rabbit ears and UHF loop to a signal combiner to hook them both up to this connector?

More to the point, the OP wanted solutions for an analog TV when stations go digital in 2009. So, he will have to use a CONVERTER BOX connected to whatever antenna he chooses. Guess what? Those converter boxes only have ONE antenna input, assuming a combo VHF/UHF antenna. Your VHF rabbit ear/ UHF loop idea won't work.

So *beside* the fact that several relatively low cost indoor antennas will out perform your beloved rabbit ear/UHF loop idea, the rabbit ear/UHF loop idea will not be easy to hook up.

I've been involved in tests with several indoor antennas with various digital->analog converter boxes, and they outperform regular rabbit ears, no matter how you define it.

Reply to
UCLAN

Seems like a great idea. Too bad I get: The requested URL /modeling/tmp/e342501848/getall.php was not found on this server. instead of a chart. I'll try again later. Thanks.

# 831-336-2558            jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

If they are working fine now, they may still work if they can watch UHF (18-69).

tenna or bolting down the mast on an old roof. Perhaps a pole >anchored in concrete would be better.

The higher the antenna the better, but still you may not need a rooftop.

Don't buy a large antenna, you don't need one.

Wrong! The new HD converter boxes come with an signal strength indicator that also buzzes. The box will tell you which direction to point the antenna! But, you're right, Mt. Wilson is the best direction.

If you're listening Michael, or anyone else who's interested in an Off- the-Air HD changeover (sure beats da moneysucking cable or dish).

I live in San Bernardino, a good 50 mi west of LA and a good 40 mi SE of Mt Wilson, but I get 52 HD channels! Many are Spanish language, but I get all of the major Networks, PBS, oldies and cartoons, and in beautiful HD on my old Sony TV via the new HD converter box (RCA) I got at Walmart for $60-$40coupon!

My secret is that Grey-Hoverman Antenna. I went to the website, looked closely at the dimensions, and made one out of PVC and clothes hanger wire. It works great on my roof. It even receives VHF as well as UHF (some stations will continue to transmit VHF after Feb09).

HD channels are wonderful! There's no snow, no ghosts, no weird interference, in digital you either get a good enough signal (my box needs at least 15% signal strength) or you get a digitzed freezframe. I get KCET at 50% and our local PBS station, which is only 15 mi away but in the opposite direction SE, I get 60% with the antenna still pointing toward Mt Wilson! (I don't have or need an antenna rotator.)

Here's da bottom line: (If you really need sumptin betta than rabbit...)

1) I can help you make a G-H antenna. (free email advice) 2) I can sell you the pre-cut PVC parts with directions. ($25) 3) I can make a G-H antenna for you. ($50) 4) I can make a G-H antenna and install it for you. ($100)

I hope you see this, still have your girlfriend, and haven't bought that $99 antenna!

Sincerely, dickawa snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
ujm789

Many stations will be reverting back to VHF in February. Many will be on UHF. So ordinary "rabbit-ears" won't cut it. Those that paid $$$ for a UHF only rooftop antenna installation will be upset.

Hint: You're getting NO HD channels with your converter box. You're getting analog conversions of digital channels. They AREN'T called *HD* converter boxes, they're called *DIGITAL* converter boxes. They CAN'T put out a digital signal, hence they can't put out a HD signal. You are receiving a stations digital signal, be it HD or SD, and watching an analog conversion. You are NOT watching "in beautiful HD."

Sigh...

Reply to
UCLAN

Oh come on now, Just when I thought I was gettng ahead of the game with my goverment issued converter! What a why to spoil it all! ... :)

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"Daily Thought:

  SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT
  THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to
Jamie

September 8, this year, Wilmington,North Carolina will switch to HD TV.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

No, they will switch to *digital* TV. Digital can be SD or HD. The FCC has only mandated digital, not necessarily HD.

Reply to
UCLAN

FCC is all screwed up! They have an all screwed up dude by the name of Powell up in there.F..K the FCC!!!!!!!!!!!! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Wake up! Powell left the FCC quite a while ago. Take a long nap?

Reply to
UCLAN

He's trolling, as usual.

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell