Samsung hcm4215w projection tv

I have a rear projection tv I'm trying to get running. Originally it wouldn't stay on. If I unplugged the convergence board it would stay on. I bought two new stk392-040's and installed them. The right hand side ic would get really hot really fast. So I took that one out and installed one of the older ones and the tv works now sort of. The picture is really bowtied shaped. Should I order another stk392-040 and try that, or order a replacement convergence board? Thanks for any help. jim

Reply to
jimmyjet

In any event be careful with samsung sets as some can burn the crt very fast when you have problems with the convergence. Also make sure you use the exact replacement STK and clean the heatsink surface and use proper thermal goop. Myself I would go over the converge board with a fine tooth comb and look for low value 1/10 watt resistors that may be damaged and replace before trying another STK.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Thank you for the reply. I bought the stk ic's from mcminone. It had the same numbers except for the date code. Someone else mentioned I should use panasonic stk's, but I haven't found any yet. The heatsink had an insulator on it and no thermal goop. Do you think I should use goop with the insulator? I will check the resistors. I appreciate the advice. jim

Reply to
jimmyjet

The general consensus is use exactly what the factory used for replacement as in order the parts from Samsung if at all possible. However,I did not do that with my own personal Panasonic 53" rear projector and used chips that were actually on sale from MCM. I've had no problems with it and it's been several months and many hours of operation ago.

Also replace the chips the same way the factory installed them. If they use insulators without conductive paste, do the same. And look close for low value resistors burnt. I mentioned 1/10 watt but the could be smaller. The ones that burnt in my Pana were all 10 ohms.

Reply to
Meat Plow