Westinghouse TV Problem

Flat screen Westinghouse TV. No model number yet. About 32" model. Less than 2 years old. Sound OK. Picture for only 5 seconds or so then no picture until turned off and then on again and picture again lasts about 5 seconds. And on and on. Just started this a few days ago. No problems until now.

Worth some time to try to fix or just dump and go on?

Where to buy a sevice manual if they still sell such things?

Thanks Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Fla screen *CRT* or LCD/Plasma?

If LCD, have you checked the backlights?

Reply to
D Yuniskis

LCD / plasma, check power supply caps. Failing that, if LCD, try unplugging the backlight inverter. Many TVs will run happily with a (faulty) inverter disconnected, but obviously, you won't actually see a picture, unless you shine a strong light at the screen at an angle. You will, however, normally still hear sound, which proves that the set is staying on ok.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I think Funai made these along with the Sylvania branded LCD sets.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Agree on the faulty power supply caps. I also had a Korea made TV. Remove the main board and examine cap solder joints for overheating or caps that show discoloration. IIRC the caps are often physically close to transformers.

Catwatcher

Reply to
Catwatcher