TV sound problem

Hi, I recently purchased a samsung TV (model WS32Z10) with built in DVR. I have noticed that when watching tv every 25 seconds the sound distorts slightly as if it were not tuned into the channel correctly. This distortion lasts for precisely 7 seconds and then for 25 seconds the sound is perfect again. This 25 second -7 second cycle repeats indefinitely. The picture is perfect and is not affected at all.

The sound fault can also be heard with headphones, however, it is not present (on headphones or speakers) if an external input (i.e.DVD etc) is used. I assume the TV has two seperate tuners to facilitate the picture in picture function and for timer recording using the DVR while watching TV. When watching programs previously recorded by DVR on timer record the sound is perfect, however, if the DVR is used to time shift live TV the fault is present. I assume that rimer record uses one tv tuner and timeshifting uses the other tuner??

I am guessing that the fault is located in the primary tuner somewhere? I have no idea what could cause an intermittant fault that occurs with such regularity (every 25 seconds).

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance, James

Reply to
James

house that is only turned on (or turned off for that matter) when you are watching TV and not an external input?

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

First thing I would do is take it back if it is under warranty, as you said it was a recent purchase. Does it have the problem on all channels and not on any other inputs(besides DVD which you mentioned)?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Thanks for your post. Yes the fault is present on all channels and is not related to reception or interference as I have tested the TV at another location and the problem persisted. The fault is not present using any external input (i.e. AV1, AV2, AV3 etc). Unfortunatley it is not under warentee so I am left to fix the problem myself or pay to get it fixed. As the fault is not present when using DVR on timer record I assume it must be related to just one of the tuners (when timer record is recording the fault can be heard when you view TV on the same or a different channel during recording - I guess because the timer record is using the second tuner at that time; as i explained earlier the recording made during this scenario is fault free)? As any external input and timer recorded DVR programs are unaffected I think it is fair to exclude the amplifier circuit as a source for the problem, this is also supported by the observation that the fault can be heard on headphones.

Any ideas? Cheers, James

Reply to
James

Just a couple of options in my opinion. The problem is obviously in the IF tank circuit and would require repair to use it like you are. The other option would be to connect an external tuner(vcr, satellite, digital cable etc) to one of the AV inputs and change channels with that. Not really solving the problem but, could be a less expensive option.

Tech Data

Hi, Thanks for the post. It sounds like you know what you are talking about. I am not familar with IF tank circuits. What are they and what do they do?

Cheers, James

Reply to
James