PS2 plays DVD with dim picture

Hi- I have an older model Playstation 2 that plays DVD movies but with a twist: the picture keeps fluctuating from a nice bright picture to dim, very dim. When it becomes dim it lasts for about 13 seconds then it brightens up nicely again for a few seconds only to dim again for 13 seconds and the cycle continues. I thought it was the TV, but it does the same thing on every TV I try. The games play just fine. I only experience this problem with DVD movies. Has anyone seen this before ? Thank you.

moonlite

Reply to
moonlite

Sounds a bit like Macrovision protection.

NSM

Thanks ! Macrovision ? But the same DVD's play fine if I use a regular DVD player.

moonlite

Reply to
moonlite

Just a guess but Macrovision screws with the AGC system on VCRs and may do the same to your Playstation.

NSM

Try hooking your PS2 directly to a different television. If you have it hooked into the A/V input jacks of a VCR or a VCR-TV combo you are probably seeing the result of a copy protection scheme like Macrovision. electricitym . . .

Reply to
electricitym

Thank you very much. You were right, especially you electricitym ! I had the PS2 hooked up to a TV/VCR combo. I tried a regular TV (not a combo) and the picture is fine. I said earlier I tried the machine on several television and now I'm realizing they were ALL combo units. Thanks again for your time !

moonlite

Reply to
moonlite