Wanted: Information on “Moving Message” sign . . .

Greetings all,

I just got this sign. It is a matrix of red LEDs and is used for advertising purposes. Right now it displays a message from the last user. But I would like to control the sign with my computer ? sort of as a play peripheral.

When I plug it in (small 9-volt AC power pack) it starts working, so I know it works.

It has the name: ?Moving Message? (I believe this is the name of the manufacturer.) It has a place for a model number, but none is present. I looked around the web, and have found some similar units. This one is not color, it is red LED only. It has a DB-9 connector marked ?keyboard?. But when I got it, it came with no keyboard. (bummer)

Okay, so what I would like to do, is interface the DB-9 to my PC and make it work. Does anyone know anything about this sign? Can I get a copy of the software or user manual?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all,

- Stan Shankman K7SJB

Reply to
Stan Shankman

You might take the casing off and see if you can find any further identification inside the casing or on the circuit board. You might also see if there is an IR phototransistor - some of these signs can be programmed with an IR keyboard as well.

You might attack the DB-9 with a multimeter and see if it is putting out RS232-ish voltage levels. Or, look on the circuit board and see if the DB-9 is connected to a MAX232 or similar. If so, you might try hooking it up to your PC's serial port and bashing on it in Hyperterminal, IVT, Minicom, etc.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Just found this:

If that sounds like what you have, then in the last post in that thread, someone offers a manual for sale:

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds