PTV repair

I have owned a shop for years and because the 27" and smaller TV set are getting so cheap , I'm thinking about expanding to the projection and plasma TVs. anyone do this type of work? do you do it mainly at the house or do you take in the whole TV? also, is it mainly a board replacement from someone like PTS type of situation? thanks. thom

Reply to
thom

It is mostly component level repair in the house. ALL the newer HDTV sets REQUIRE special interfaces and factory authorization in order to even be able to get the service manuals. Plasma sets are all board level repair via the manufacture, NOT PTS. The least expensive boards on the Plasma sets are typically $350 authorized servicer cost.

I would expect you will have a significant investment in order to start doing repairs on anything current technology.

Reply to
dkuhajda

. bout what i expected to hear. are you in the tv repair business? i got in one plasma lately made by samsung. ended up having one main pcb that had to be replaced. it WAS expensive. i didn't need a special interface. it just went in without any calibration. now PTS says they are carrying HDTV boards. are you finding thats not gonna be the case? if its board level repair on the plasmas then i wouldn't need any service manuals. gotta admit i can't do component level in the house. hats off to tech who can. i've met a few. was impressed for sure.

Reply to
Thomas

What special interfaces are you talking about on ALL newer HDTVs? Which manufacturers require factory authorization to get service manuals? I service many major brands and don't have problems getting manuals for most of them. I use no special interfaces on the sets that I service. Computer monitors and many of the LCD and DLP projectors are another matter, but for consumer HDTV most are not that big a problem.

Also, many repairs are not done in the home. Lots of sets have light boxes or easily removable chassis and CRTs. We do minor repairs in the home and pull to shop for majors, leaving only final alignments on reinstall.

I can't imagine that anyone is still profitable in the consumer TV business not working on PTV.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

this is great guys. glad to hear from some other shop owners. because of my back and the changing market, i got training and started working on computers in addition to my consumer electronics. this has taken up the slack but maybe not enough. can you guys know how or where i can get training in the PTV, DLP and plasma? maybe a book or two would be sufficient . i have 25 years of experience in the direct view sets.

Reply to
Thomas