VCR part identification - help !

Hi, my toshiba VCR started having 'muffled sound' problems when recording (and to a lesser extent while playing back).

When I checked out the VCR I heard a piece rattling around !

I opened up the box and found that a small part had come loose, it looks like a part that acts as a tape guide, it has a metal spindle attached to a plastic part.

The part does not appear to have broken off, it seems intact, but I cannot see where it has come from. There are no other parts that look the same as the detached part.

I've put a picture of both the detached part and the inside of the VCR mechanism on my web page. If anyone can identify what the part is and where it has come from, I'd be really grateful. The VCR model is Toshiba V252.

My website is at:

Thanks for any help !

Reply to
floopythecat

spindle

Cant say from the pic where that is from, but you could always load up a tape and check if it passes over the A/C head with no creasing. From there, you may be able to aork out what part of the tape path is affected and give you a clue as to the location of that part.

Often the pinch rollers in these units get hard, drag the tape improperly and cause poor audio. while you're in there, you may want to do yourself a favour and remove that stupid 'auto head cleaner' foam and arm near the head drum. You could save yourself problems later!

regards, Ben

Strange but from that photo how does the tape lace between the capstan and pinch roller?

Reply to
John

When you load the tape cartridge, the tape lands between the two. Then as the tape is loaded around the head, the pinch roller comes down to contact the capstan.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Looks like it might have broken off the main chassis just to the right of the A/C head. That's the tape-head looking thing to the right of the video head drum.

Still. can't tell for sure.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

that applies the back brake pressure might be bent a little out of square. As for your "extra" part, could you show a better in focus picture of the bottom of the part? The end that doesn't have the metal pin. I suspect that it goes near the audio head somewhere, but without being able to see clearly the shape of the mount end of the part it will be hard to figure out where it mounts on the chassis.

Reply to
worldcitizen

Floopy, Without a better look at it, this is my best guess... It looks like a tape guide, and it probably goes between the capstan and the CTL/audio head stack. Note the white plastic area at that location on the deck. See if the plastic on that broken part matches up to the white area on the deck... bet it does. The metal guide should stick upright & the tape should ride on the lower edge of it at the rim. Super glue

-might- hold it, but why did it break off in the first place? Cheap VCRs (most of what is made now) have plastic parts extended through the metal chassis with little or no reinforcement. It doesn't take much to break it... oftentimes it just pukes all by itself. If that is the part that broke off, the tape will likely skew off the audio head. You have nothing to lose by attempting a repair. After gluing it back, reinforce it somehow. I'd use a hot soldering iron to heat a piece of wire and press it through the plastic to beef up the weakened area.

Ray

--

My return addy is spamblocked. To reply, remove the zeroes.
Reply to

Thanks everyone for your input. Ray and Mark - I came to the same conclusion myself after a lot of staring at the mechanism !

The confusing thing was that there was no obvious 'hole' for the part to slot into, or to attach to another part of the mechanism. I decided the only place it would fit was on top of the metal plate, below and to the right of the audio head, where there is a depression in the metal.

There didn't seem to be any glue on the plastic part, so I don't know how it stayed on in the first place (it's not a push fit) but I superglued it in place, and now everything works fine - sound is stable on both playback and recording.

thanks again folks,

Reply to
floopythecat