vcr adjustment

I have a Go Video, dual deck vcr. I am converting tapes to DVD with a DVD recorder, but it's slow-going. There's too much hiss and pops coming from the tv speaker. These particular tapes were recorded in LP mode. All the tapes i have recorded in SP and SLP mode were converted with no problems.

I know that there HAS TO BE a setting screw inside the vcr that adjusts the quality of the taped material. It ultimately adjusts the tracking, better than the familiar tracking control you find on a vcr. I have such a screw in my audio cassette player, and it totally changes the sound of the audio, where it's muffled turning the screw to the right, and it's totally crystal clear turning the screw to the left. Is there such a setting inside the vcr that would adjust the taped material dead-on, so that there would be no hiss and pops and other noise coming from the tv speaker? If i could do that, then i would be set. The problem does not have anything to do with the fact that the material I have was taped in LP mode on a different vcr. I have store-bought tapes recorded in LP mode and they produce the same hiss/pops.

I think the problem lies somewhere in the tape mechanism, or the path the tape travels around near the video and audio heads. If i could mess with the potentiometer or setting screw while playing a tape, i could get it where the noise goes away and i hear and see pretty clear material on the tape. Finding said screw or maybe even a potentiometer or whatever is a whole other problem, but could ask around. This vcr is a LEMON and has been in the shop 3 times so far for various problems. I don't want to spend another dime getting it repaired.

Anyone got any ideas?

Reply to
snafu1

LP mode sacrifices quality to get the extra time. You could try another VCR to check this.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor