Two Zeners in Parallel?

Hi,

I need a 33V 1W zener diode to repair a Samsung TV GX1395 (in tuner 33V line). I have a bunch of 33V 1/2 W NTE5036A zeners. Is there anything wrong with putting two 1/2W zeners in parallel?

I also have a 24V 1W and a 9V 1W. I thought about putting those in series.

Thanks in advance, Brad

Before you type your password, credit card number, etc., be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

Reply to
Brad

Two zeners in parallel doesn't really work, since there is no way to guarantee they will share current equally, or even share current at all. More likely one diode will "zener" first, then effectively bypass the other.

Zeners in series, however, works fine in my experience.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

The one with the slightly lower voltage will dissipate most of the power.

That's better.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:30:14 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Brad) put finger to keyboard and composed:

Many TV tuning circuits require temperature compensated reference zener diodes, eg TAA550B, uPC574J. I'm not sure if a regular zener is stable enough for these sets, even after allowing for AFT.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar