Dial-Up Connection "Accelerator" Technique

Hi,

How does an "accelerator" work for dial-up connections to make transfers faster?

Thanks in advance, Brad

Before you type your password, credit card number, etc., be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Reply to
Brad

By reading sites through a proxy run by the makers of the program, which compresses everything (including the images, at a loss) so that it all takes less bandwidth.

Reply to
NRen2k5

Dial-up "accelerators" are a ripoff and generally only speed up simple text and other really simply compressed stuff. JPEGS and MPEGS will get squashed and corrupted. Useless for modern web sites, etc. Net Zero is trying to make a bundle off their "accelerator" service. It is a complete sham. So is "Earthfink." Why bother with a ripoff accelerator, when Verizon (in some markets) is now offering ADSL (not that good...768 Kb/s tops) for $9.95/mo.? Even ADSL can beat any "accelerator" and frees up a phone line.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

What does this have to do with the repair of electronic equipment?

None at all. It belongs in some computer newsgroup, so go and fine it.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

For the most part, they don't. They can route data through a proxy and keep a cache of frequently requested pages on your system. They can incorporate data compression to reduce the size of the data transfered.

The idea getting five-fold speed improvements is pure fantasy.

They're typically good for 5-15%.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Google's is free and effective.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I believe some of them also download pages that are associated with the page you are currently viewing in the background - you click a link on your current page, and if you're lucky, some of the page you're going to is already there.

Jerry

Reply to
jerry_maple

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in news:fdWNh.15552$__3.6943 @edtnps90:

But "Dial-up users may not see much improvement, as Google Web Accelerator is currently optimized to speed up web page loading for broadband connections."

Jim Land

|>Dial-up "accelerators" are a ripoff and generally only speed up simple |>text and other really simply compressed stuff. JPEGS and MPEGS will |>get squashed and corrupted. Useless for modern web sites, etc. Net |>Zero is trying to make a bundle off their "accelerator" service. It |>is a complete sham. So is "Earthfink." Why bother with a ripoff |>accelerator, when Verizon (in some markets) is now offering ADSL (not |>that good...768 Kb/s tops) for $9.95/mo.? Even ADSL can beat any |>"accelerator" and frees up a phone line.

All modems have always had V32/V42biz LAPM Data Compression built into the modems rochwell chipset even software/win modems......

Some Programs like DAP download while emulating as much as 10 connections on the same file at once, like multiple modems, and that is a faster download.

--
Triad Productions-Fantalla©~EZine~ParaNovel
National Astrophysical Assault Research

so go and fine it.

So, how big is the fine?

-- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell Central Florida

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

True. And that is a nuisance to sites' admins because they cause big bandwidth spikes.

Reply to
NRen2k5