TVs compatible, from one continent to the next??

What are you babbling about, now?

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You can't have looked very hard. Dual standard sets - both colour and monochrome - were plentiful at one time.

Some could - if they had the money.

If the US makers wanted to sell sets in the UK they could have made them to UK spec. But your strange logic seems against this.

BBC 2 started off as UHF 625 mono. Because it was planned to start colour there in the future. BBC1 and ITV were 405 (VHF) only until they too went colour on UHF.

I presume you mean all new ones?

Mirror image? Have you ever looked at the design of a car? UK makers managed to produce pretty well every model in RHD and LHD. As did just about every other in the world. Another example of 'take what you get or leave it'?

And even more trivial and cheaper to make a new power supply?

It *can* matter to power supplies.

Because it was so poor. As anyone who had seen the actual results in the '50s would remember...

Where did I ever say the US should have used UK technology? It's you who are saying the reverse.

And we'd have been saddled with an inferior system relying on imported equipment. Those coffins of cameras not suited to UK production methods.

The best TV service in the world.

JVC cornered the VCR rental market with VHS. But you could buy a variety of makes including Sony BetaMax. At the same time as the Philips VCC system. VHS was the most popular system for all the wrong reasons - as elsewhere.

So why didn't your manufactures with that vast economy of scale compete? You found the money to put man on the moon but couldn't make a domestic VCR. Even with all the expertise of Ampex.

--
*It ain't the size, it's... er...  no, it IS ..the size.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I produced & directed a live newscast for a year in '73 & 74 at Ft. Greely, AK.

I built a 1.3 MW EIRP UHF TV station on Ch. 58 in Destin Fl., starting with an empty building.

I've run studio cameras, loaded 16 mm film and 35 mm slides for actualities between switching camera shots in master control.

I've climbed TV broadcast towers and built a remote tower light monitor that I designed. It met FCC and FAA requirements. I had 14 hours to design, build and install the equipment in two cities to monitor the tower lights at a STL relay point.

I've built mobile production vans, and installed the first emergency alert system on any CATV system on any US military base.

I repaired any and everything that needed it at three different stations.

I installed PBX and telethon phone systems.

I installed and repaired C-band microwave equipment, along with 7 &

11 GHz STL equipment

A good Broadcast Engineer can do any job that's required. What have you done, other than post bullshit? What was the equivalent of the FCC First Phone license that was required to be a broadcast Engineer and did you have it?

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

And I thank God for that.

Really? You could get almost any part for RCA equipment, even on 40 year old equipment. It wasn't cheap, but it was availible, and a lot of it could be delivered overnight. The first thing Philips did was tell the US scustomers that there were no spare camera cables, no bulk cable, and no new connectors to repair the flimsy crap that connected the cameras to the CCUs.

Sigh. Your ignorance is amazing. RCA & GE owned TV networks. Take a guess who designed and built their equipment?

ENG was substanard at the BBC? Figures.

What don't you understand? 2" predated all of the other formats.

Seems to me that you don't know anything abot US brodacsting or any of the various standards involved.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, but I understood what you were getting at. You have to see the image as the consumer will see it.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

NTSC delay lines for TV sets were about $3 for replacments in the mid '60s. I only saw one open delay line and one with physical damage in

40+ years. The open delay line removed the luminanve signal, leaving only moving colored splotches on a black screen.
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Which is what the master monitors are for, after all the video processing and routing.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I saw 1 open delay line. In an RCA tube set back in 1980. I might have paid less than 10 bucks for it. Never saw another failed.

Meat Plow

Which video processing systems? I take it you mean something not used in the studio?

But pray tell of a composite video studio which had RGB available from anything other than a single camera, etc.

--
*If they arrest the Energizer Bunny, would they charge it with battery? *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sigh. Now I'm really sure you've never worked *in* TV.

--
*If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah. News. Hence all the references to U-Matic and VHS as if they were broadcast systems.

--
*Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Perhaps it's a language thing. Look it up if you don't understand 'ruled'.

--
*Ever stop to think and forget to start again?

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Television is a vast wasteland."

-- Newton N. Minow (then Chairman of the FCC)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You just keep showing more and more ignrance. All the studio cameras had RGB outputs. The Vital Industries video switcher and the Squeeze Zoom had RGB inputs and outputs. The studios had cameras & monitors only. Master control did every thing else. Just admit that you are absolutely clueless about what was done, and how in a NTSC brodcast plant.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

BZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There was no video tape equipment at that station. If you would pay attention, or even better, if you had red that message of mine on the DOD Afrts website you might have a clue. Why would I be loading 16 mm & 35 mm, but not mention video tape?

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"And Usenet isn't far behind."

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I wonder if you've ever worked anywhere.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I've already said that.

Sorry - forgot you were talking about some one horse news studio in the sticks.

The studios I worked in had all the vision FX needed locally in the studio. They were production studios.

The presentation area had their own too if they wished to use such things for programme junctions, etc.

--
*What am I? Flypaper for freaks!?

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Internet television is the new frontier Mike. My new Samsung is internet connected and I suspect that is the new trend. And not just a trend but a developing standard.

Meat Plow

Hulu.com, and a TV tuner card in one computer already. I've watched a few episodes of Stargate Universe and Stargate Atlantis on Hulu, along with a few old movies. I am modifying a ceiling mount swing arm to bolt it to my hospital bed. that way I can do web design or access usenet when I am forced to lay down to relieve the swelling in my legs. I bought a 7" HDTV recently to add to the monitor & keyboard arm. I bought this Dell Optiplex 620 small footprint to use with a 24" LCD monitor. The whole system will swing away from the bed when I'm not using it. I got the industrial mount for free. The cheapest one made for a hospital bed that would do was almost $2,000. I can do a lot of cutting & welding for that price, including a telephone mount, and controls to open the gates or look at the security cameras to see who is at the door when I can't get up in time to anwser in person. :)

would be nice with four of the extra 19" LCD monitors, but it would be too big to move away from the bed while laying down. ;-)

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell