TV tuner replacement advice ?

Aloha ,

We purchased a 29inch Toshiba flat screen tv with a undisclosed fault .

Occasionally when switching channels the audio track is lost and replaced with static Then , after about 20 seconds (always exactly the same) , the audio track is picked up again .

Finding that we do not watch TV anymore it has been decided to sell the TV . But We will not pass it on in this condition , it was annoying to us as the buyer and we want to pass it on in better condition than we found it .

We have read mention that the TV controller unit (the part inside the case that has the aerial connection for the TV) is replaceable with many other versions of the same .. this is encouraging .

But is the replacement of the Tuner really quite straight forward?

And does the TV tuning fault as described indeed refer to the function of the TV tuner ?

cheers

Reply to
handshake

That sounds like you are describing the RF tuner component.

You didn't explicitly state this but if I can assume ONLY the audio is the problem, i.e. the video is fine, I doubt that the RF tuner is your problem.

Reply to
Mr. Land

The tuner module could cause your symptom but I won't advise that it is the only component that can do this. Since I do not know what a Flat Screen TV really is it's hard to tell you the degree of difficulty replacing items inside.

Reply to
Meat Plow

How about a model number??? Is the set a digital tv? If so, the sound could possibly go out without affecting the picture. Frankly, it doesn't seem like the tuner if the picture stays ok as that is usually much more sensitive to any type of tuner problem.

Reply to
hrhofmann

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Yes its just a Audio lag .. and only sometimes .. the picture loads AoK but we gat a static noise for about 20seconds then the set seems to find its audio signal and the sound is correct again .

The static is allways the same event in sounding and duration , and the TV allways finds the audio signal after 20seconds , but only say 1 time out of ten does this happen .

cheers

Reply to
handshake

Its just a std CRT TV really ,, i shound't have mentioned the flat screen except i guess if it were not a flat screen we would prob chuck it away without second thought .

Reply to
handshake

Nope not digital , just std TV .

Reply to
handshake

Nope couldnt see one .. know what you mean tho .

The channel switching is good in speed , its just 1 time out of ten (varies in frequency according to i dont know what) it will not tune to the audio track . Video will load up 100% but the Audio will load as static for 20sec or so and then the TV allways loads the clear audio track .

Reply to
handshake

Cheers ..

Have you ever replaced the RF unit with a version from another different make/model set ? We have found the Sony tuners to be the best for signal pick up around these parts..

Reply to
handshake