TV/DVR Tuner question

Disagreement with son-in-law. In a typical setup (Dish or Direct TV TIVO) does the DVR have two tuners - = or - is there a single tuner in the DVR and the other tuner being used is i= n the TV set. SIL claims there are two tuners in the DVR. If that is the = case then there are three tuners all together and we should be able to reco= rd 3 shows simultaneously, or, record 2 while watching a live show.

Does anybody know? Please educate me.

Thanks for all replies,

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

"Ivan Vegvary"

** DVRs typically contain two digital tuners.
** Not with only one hard disk recorder you won't.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Some DVRs have two two tuners.

how do you plan yo record three shows if there are onlty two tuners in the DVR?

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I have the Dish 622 DVR. It actually has three tuners. Two tuners for the satellite feed and one for the over the air signals. It will record up to three programs (2 sat and 1 OTA) simultaneously while doing playback from a previously recorded program.

Right now I am recording 1 Sat signal, 1 OTA signal and watching a previously recorded program. It regularly records three programs simultaneously.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Coby

** The point remains that a DVR will not do that unless it is engineered to do it.

Plus raw data from the digital tuner inside a TV set is not usually accessible.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

is there a single tuner in the DVR and the other tuner being used is in the TV set. SIL claims there are two tuners in the DVR. If that is the case then there are three tuners all together and we should be able to record 3 shows simultaneously, or, record 2 while watching a live show.

Two tuners, at least with Dish and every cable DVR I've had (four systems). When recording two shows, you can only watch one of the recorded shows.

Reply to
krw

Thanks everybody!!! I learned from all of the replies.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary