Teac TV ctm687 tuner problem.

I am repairing this Teac TV ctm687 which has a grainy picture on all channels; even when using the vcr (however the tapes play a normal picture. Hence I suspect the tuner (oscar 2900kkc) for which I measure 7.87 volts at the AGC pin which goes to i/c TDA8305A pin 5 which according to TV schematics should only have 3.9 volts. My B+ at the tuner is 12.11 and I wonder if this is the correct supply voltage to the tuner. Thanks in advance. Al

Reply to
alitonto

This can be a defective RF stage in the tuner, or an AGC fault. The tuner, when defective is changed as a module. You would be best off to order the service manual and follow it through, or give out the set for proper service. Take care for serious safety issues when working in TV sets.

Jerry G.

Reply to
Jerry G.

This particular model tuner by the way, was made by Temic.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

   Maarten Bakker.
Reply to
maarten

Reply to
alitonto

On 17 Jul 2005 05:17:30 -0700, "alitonto" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Am I right in assuming that you are playing back tapes through the AV inputs of your TV?

That could just mean that the AGC circuitry is cranking up the gain to compensate for a weak or absent signal.

This sounds typical.

I don't have any experience with your particular set, but here are some general tips.

Check that the band switching pins (BU, BH, BL) respond to band changes (UHF, VHF high, VHF low). Also check that the tuning voltage (VT) increases and decreases smoothly as the channels are scanned.

See the bottom RH corner of this page for a typical pinout:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

from the sounds of it, the tuner is not at fault. THis is becasue you said the picture is still grainy when you use the vcr, which I'm assuming means when you have the vcr connected to the AV inputs and using , thus, the VCRs tuner to watch tv. I'd check your antenna wiring and connectors.

Assuming

-thats not what you meant

and

-the tv tuner is faulty

and

-the vcrs tuner is fine

and

-your time is worth anything at all to you

just use the vcr's tuner to watch tv, and st>I am repairing this Teac TV ctm687 which has a grainy picture on all

Reply to
Arpit

"Arpit"

** You are correct.

The OP simply has a bad antenna.

The OP is an absolute d*****ad.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Not necessarily - some VCR feed to the TV per RF to a no station-on-there-channel, and not via an AV input - if this is the case then could still be a tuner prob

David

Phil Allis> "Arpit"

Reply to
quietguy

"quietguy"

**Quote:

" I am repairing this Teac TV ctm687 which has a grainy picture on all channels; even when using the vcr (however the tapes play a normal picture. "

How come it plays OK with tape as the source???

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Good point