Dvd recorder not recording sound

Hi I have a Dvd recorder with hard drive. I also have Foxtel digital. Anyway to cut a long story short. I watch my Foxtel on AV2. I watch and record to my dvd recorder on AV1.

Anyway suddenly when I record my foxtel, there is picture but no sound on playback.

I thought it was a Dvd recorder problem, maybe a hard drive problem. But I recorded some footage with my DVcamcorder to my DVD recorder hard drive, and everything was ok, sound was there.

What could have suddenly gone wrong ? All leads are in tight as I checked that.

Anyway very strange, any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks kindly

Reply to
James Thompson

Cable between Foxtel and your recorder?

Do you have sound when you watch Foxtel via recorder? (set TV to channel you watch your recorder on and set recorder to whatever channel it uses to record foxtel on). On TV you should see picture from Foxtel and sound from Foxtel. I bet, sound is not there. So, check cables.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

Reply to
James Thompson

There is your problem. Sound and video are seperate cables.

Reply to
Dac

Reply to
James Thompson

Describe EXACTLY what cables you have running between the Foxtel box and the DVD recorder. What are the labels on the Foxtel box that they plug into, and what are the lables on the DVD recorder that they plug into.

Have you had sound previously, or is this a recent thing? Have you changed anything around recently?

You are the one asking the questions: You need to be precise, and to give every bit of info if you want useful answers.

A couple of people have already had a pretty reasonable attempt to help you, but you seem to have missed the points they made. If you provide the answers to my questions then you will probably get some more detailed advice to solve your problem.

What I do suggest is that you have a look in your DVD recorder's manual - I'm betting that there's a picture of how it should be wired to a device such as a Foxtel box (they may show a VCR as the example - but it will be the same). You need a red/white/yellow composite AV lead, connected to the R

  • L Audio Out on the Foxtel box (red and white) plus the Video Out on the Foxtel box (Yellow) to the R + L Audio In on the DVD Recorder (red and white) plus the Video In on the DVD Recorder.

It's possible that the video signal is carried on an S-Video cable, but if that's the case, you still need the red/white audio cables as S-Video cables only carry a video signal.

WR

Reply to
Wayne Reid

The Foxtel digital unit has 2x SCART AV outputs on the rear. One has the sound controlled by the digital remote control unit (mute and amplitude) while the other output has sound all the time and cannot be adjusted.

Is it possible you are using both outputs and have the one with sound controlled by the remote on mute going into AV1?

Easy to check, change the cables over.

Reply to
Hugh