sony triniton 28" tv fell off

My 28" Sony Trinitron TV fell off to its face from about a feet's height. It first landed on the top left edge of the case & subsequently fell to its face.

Now, when I switch on the TV gives a flash once & then shows nothing. I can see the channel number, AV1, AV2 etc. on the top left but in red colour (it used to be shown in green). I can see the progress bar for volume when I change the volume. But I can't see the picture. Audio is perfect.

I think the picture tube is gone but I want to be sure about it. Is there any way to confirm this myself without the help of a technician?

I opened the TV to see if there are any cracks on the CRT but there are none.

Any information in this regards os much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Sunitha Kode

Sunitha Kode ha escrito:

sounds like you are at least getting a picture, but no video signal. I'd say a board has got cracked. With the set on and the back off,try poking the boards with a wooden rod or cooking utensil to see if you can get a video signal back on screen and then locate the cracks. in any case, from the discolouration you mentioned , I'd say the tube is damaged. This is probably not feasible to repair. good luck, B.

It is possible that the tube is damaged from the drop. There is a chance that the circuit board may be damaged.

If you are not trained in TV service, you should have a TV service center look at it, and give you an estimate.

Jerry Greenberg

Reply to
Jerry G.

You've probably cracked a circuit board, that part is usually pretty easy to fix. The part that concerns me though is the menu being red instead of green, that could indicate that the aperature grill inside the tube has shifted, in which case you'll never be able to get the purity right and it'll always have off-colored blobs but it's hard to know without fixing the board, could be just fine.

Reply to
James Sweet

I think you have two problems with this set. The no picture fault might have been worth repairing,

But the colour purity problem you see on the on-screen graphics is almost certainly caused by the trauma the set suffered buckling the aperture grille inside the CRT.

The construction of the Trinitron aperture grille is lighter and more easily damaged than other types of CRT.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Reply to
Graham

the

A simillar drop onto the bottom right hand corner should fix it ;O)

Seriously it is worth a try before binning the tube.

I remember the days when a firm thump to the side of the set would cure 99% of television faults :O)

Reply to
Albert Grennock

The other posters are most likely right IMO- the aperture grille in the CRT is damaged/shifted. I managed to restore a rather badly damaged (dropped) Trinitron by a lot of fiddling with the yoke rings and placing magnets on the CRT, but I guess I was lucky, and had too much time on my hands ;-). You may find a few degauss cycles lessens the symptoms, but it isn't very likely. Also it's worth considering that the integrity of the CRT may have been compromised. It may not be visible, but there may be weaknesses in the glass which could prove dangerous. You don't say what kind of surface it fell on, but if it was concrete, I'd be wary.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

Can you say "Implode!"

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

That really shouldn't be much concern, modern TV's are designed so that an implosion that sprays anything beyond the enclosure is very unlikely, now with the back off it's a whole different story but the face of a CRT is made of very thick glass and the shadow mask helps shield any internals.

Reply to
James Sweet

What color is the volume bar? What color is the volume bar supposed to be? Is the color of the volume bar and the channel numbers consistant? (not changing shades of red or green) Are the red channel numbers possilby from the tv not recieving any signal on those channels because of a broken circuit board?

Try using a composite input and see what happens on AV1 and AV2.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Hi...

I'd surely want to see some video on it before giving up on the tube.

It's even possible that it fell at turn on, failed while de-gaussing.

I once turned on a set at about the same instant that hydro failed. What a kalaedascopic (sp?) mess!!! :)

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Volume bar is green as it is supposed to be. The mute sign etc. are also displayed in green.

The channel numbers were half green & red initially & now it is fully red.

Donno what you mean by this. I tried playing a DVD, there is no picture on the screen but audio is fine.

-Sunitha.

Reply to
Sunitha Kode

When I tried tapping the circuit board behind the CRT filament, there were color stripes which went on & off here & there.

Also noticed that the CRT filament is not glowing.

-Sunitha

Reply to
Sunitha Kode

I tried poking on the circuit board behind the CRT filament & saw some colour stripes come & go here & there on the screen.

Other thing that I noticed is the CRT filament isn't glowing.

-Sunitha

Reply to
Sunitha Kode

The aperture grille on a Trinitron would be next to no protection from flying glass, especially if the screen area collapses. However, I agree it is not particularly likely the screen area would fail. I've certainly never seen it happen. It is worth pointing it out to the OP as a risk though. Any TV landing on its face, certainly onto a hard floor, should be treated with caution.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

Composite would be a connection with RCA cables.. example: a dvd player with yellow video and red and white audio wires, not through the antenna port anything you use on AV1 or AV2.

Sounds to me like possible screen mask damage and circuit board damage. I'd fix the board before making any decisions about the CRT tube.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

By the way, if you are getting channel numbers and volume bars on the screen that means the CRT tube is working, but something must be wrong with the electronics. The discoloration may indicate damage to the CRT but never the less you should be able to get some sort of picture when the circuit that is damaged is fixed.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

"Ken Weitzel" bravely wrote to "All" (03 Oct 05 04:18:25) --- on the heady topic of "Re: sony triniton 28" tv fell off"

KW> From: Ken Weitzel KW> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:343960

KW> Hi...

KW> I'd surely want to see some video on it before giving up on the tube.

KW> It's even possible that it fell at turn on, failed while de-gaussing.

KW> I once turned on a set at about the same instant that hydro failed. KW> What a kalaedascopic (sp?) mess!!! :)

Ken,

I agree with you that there may be nothing wrong with the crt. The red colour channel numbers might be the cpu indicating a problem and as such is a normal display. In that case the circuitry has been damaged.

A*s*i*m*o*v

... I ran Doublespace on my monitor & get 2 more TV channels.

Reply to
Asimov

I concur.

Also, there is a difference between red/used to be green and red/used to be pale green. The channel numbers may always have had some red in them, you just never noticed it under the green.

I've fixed a lot of dropped tv's and monitors by resoldering connections that popped loose. Make sure you check all of the solder connections, esp. the ones on the tube socket and in places where boards come together.

Reply to
stickyfox

The CRT may be gone, for sure. Usually with a set of this size following the board cracks around the FBT also. You never know...if you do get it going, a degauss may take care of the possible CRT problem.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre