Sony TV remote

Hi,

I have a sony KDL-40S2010 LCD TV, it works just fine. However the remote RM YD005 is failing again. It works but you have to use extra force and wiggle the buttons to get it to operate. Poorest operation is with buttons which are used most often, Mute, Volume, Channel change, so I assume is is wear or contamination problem.

Last time I bought a replacement on EBay for $18 or thereabouts. I can always buy another, but can it be fixed, is it worth the work

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

If you can get it open without destroying it (good luck!), a thorough cleaning might do the trick.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

On Sep 18, 9:47=A0am, Al Moodie wrote: > Hi, >

I've opened them up to clean out krud that gets in and it can be GROSS. Don't eat while using remotes and wash your hands. And yes, they do work properly again provided the carbon on the rubber button backside is still present. The goo and pressure can ruin them.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

If it's still mostly functional, tearing it apart and cleaning the guts will revive it. Open it up, remove all the food crumbs, and wash off the mold and fungus accumulation. I use 409 cleaner, which seems to work well. Dry with a clean paper towel.

The conductive rubber elastometric buttons will probably need to be cleaned slightly. The easiest way is to spray from 409 cleaner onto a sheet of 20lb paper, plop the rubber buttons down on the paper, push each button into the paper, and slight SLIGHTLY sideways. You want to just scub off the surface crud, not sandpaper the conductive coating into non-functionality.

On the PCB side, you'll see the matching gold contacts for each button. This also needs to be cleaned. Lint free cloth (not paper towel), some more 409 spray cleaner, rub-a-dub, and let dry.

Put it back together and it should work.

Some really marginal videos on how to fix your remote:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 12:47:51 -0400, Al Moodie wrote (in article ):

My wife is always spilling coke (a cola) on them or some other nasty thing. I have never had a problem opening them up, cleaning them with water, letting them dry out, and then reassembling them. Same works for pagers dropped in the toilet :-).

The trickiest part is to figure out how to open it up without breaking it. Most of them are clamshell cases with plastic tabs hidden under the joints. Take your time and pry gently.

You can also buy a universal remote and program it.

--
Nelson
Reply to

This may not apply to the new Sony sets, but ours (old ones) used a channel number button to turn on. The power button only turned off the set.

This was fine until the remotes on our DBS system died. When we replaced them the new ones channel buttons do not affect the TV. The volume buttons do, but not the channel ones, I assume they assume you set the TV once and never change the channel.

BTW, there are various brands of graphite solution in alcohol that can be used to repair the conductive surface. Unfortunately they are not legal to mail outside the country and I can't get any. I use DeOxit to clean them as best I can, but can't really replace the graphite.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Making your enemy reliant on software you support is the best revenge.

Something that has improved over the years. 20 years ago it was more common to have failed contacts rather than due to grime, now its rarely failed contacts.

Reply to
N_Cook

Hi,

Thanks for all the info. I will try openning it up and cleaning it.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie