Truck radio

Hi! I need information on a 1940 Chev pickup radio. Thank Youi Vince

Reply to
Vince

ON/OFF and volume knob on the left. Tuning knob on the right. HTH.

Reply to
Smitty Two

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You'll probably need a new Cat's Whisker.

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

Only if you have a cat. That radio used 6.3 volt tubes, and a vibrator B+ supply. More than mlikely every paper capacitor is bad, along with the elctrolytics and the vibrator. There are solid state replacements availible for the vibrator, but make sure the buffer capacitor gets replaced with the right HV capacitor.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Assuming that it's a Delco brand, what's the model number?

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
DaveM

What is the question?

Most of the failures are capacitors, the vibrator, and maybe some tubes that are weak. If the speaker is the original it may be dried up and have to be replaced or re-built. There are places that can re- build the speaker.

In theory, these are not overly complicated for an experienced tech who knows the older radio designs. The work is time intensive, and some of the parts are difficult to find, and may be expensive. But, if you are determined and don't mind the cost the radio can be restored.

I used to restore antique radios and TV sets. I no longer do this type of work due to the lack of time.

If you go on to the antique radio news groups, you should be able to get information. If you do a web search, you should be able to find people who can service this radio for you.

Jerry G. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

ank Youi

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Vince

Reply to
Jerry G.

it was AM only, no CD player, no cassett player, and no FM...

How's that for information...

OK, specifically what do you need?

Reply to
PeterD

As long as we're all guessing, I betcha it was 6 volts.

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

Might even have been positive ground! :)

--
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to

Jamie wrote in news:TUeHj.200$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe02.lga:

I'll bet that all the 'transistors' in it were large, had 8 small pins, in a circle plus a bigger metal pin in the center except for one that had 4 pins in a trapizoidal pattern.

--
bz    	73 de N5BZ k

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bz

Even worse was that a 1940 truck *didn't* have a radio as an option! (you could get an after-market one however)

Reply to
PeterD

Yeah, back in those days they didn't know how to make efficient transistors like today! They were slow getting started, generated lots of heat there for, wasted power. Used excessive amount of space because they didn't have the chinese and mexicans of today with small fingers to put those vacuumed transistors together in smaller packages! And if you hit a bump to hard, the heater in them that generated the electron cloud for the majority carriers in the semi dope mass would fail!

Good god miss molly!

--
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to
Jamie

As far back as the 1950s, radios and heaters were optional equipment/accessories for cars and trucks.If the buyer of a new car or truck wanted the new vehicle equipped with a radio or heater or both items, he or she had to ask for it when he or she placed their order for his or hers new car or truck.My 1978 big old long tall 1978 Dodge van did not have a radio when I bought the van from a guy in 1989.In place of a radio, there was a factory cover plate fastened to the area where the radio goes.There was not even a hole for the antenna either.I went to a K-Mart store and I bought a cheap AM/FM/Cassette radio (about $35.00) and I bought a new antenna at the K-Mart store too.I removed the dashboard cover plate and I drilled a hole in the right front fender for the antenna.

There was a time when windshield wipers were optional equipment for cars and trucks.My 1914 T Model Ford car has an optional equipment hand operated windshield wiper clamped on top of the windshield.Starter motors used to be optional equipment for cars and trucks too, so were wire wheels verus wood spoke wheels versus disk wheels. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin