Troubleshooting computers

Hello, I have a good background in electronics and troubleshooting, but need some help in how to troubleshoot microprocessor circuits/ computers. Are there any techniques that help to determine if a processor circuit is working properly other than just running it, and if there is no troubleshooting software for it? Is it just a matter of checking to see if data is moving? How can you tell the data is correct? Any help in troubleshooting these types of circuits is appreciated. Thanks. B

Reply to
Brian O

Mostly it is done by board/module swapping.

Steps that can be used (but not often used as a scope is often required):

1/ Check all supply voltages 2/ Verify the clock signal 3/ Verify all inputs 4/ Verify activity on the busses
Reply to
Charles Schuler

You pretty much can't. Most computer shops don't even own a DMM.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I have a related question: how would you troubleshoot a motherboard which resets CMOS to default every time a/c power is shut off, even with a fresh battery?

I have another identical board (ECS N2U400-A ver1.0) which functions just fine, and thought about doing an A-B type comparison with a meter, but I'm not sure what to look for.

Reply to
KenB123

Bad CMOS ram or bad battery connection. How much current does it draw from the battery while off?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I haven't yet got to the point of measuring current drain, but the battery seems to be holding at 3v.

However when this problem first cropped up, the original battery was weak. So maybe there is a drain somewhere.

Reply to
KenB123

Voltage is only useful diagnostically on the CMOS chip. Current is a quick and dirty check.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Are

That was pretty much my line of thinking. Sometimes the "boss" doesn't understand that though. Thanks. Brian

Reply to
Brian O

Bad jumper plug for reset CMOS function?

Reply to
JW