Television Tube going out?

We just recently moved and had the moving company store our small color tv set. Now, when we plug it in to satellite tv there is a line originating from the bottom of the screen and that horizontial line scrolls all the way up the screen - this repeats over and over. Somewhere in the dark reaches of my brain I seem to recall that this could indicate a "tube" going out or having gone out? Suggestions? Could it be the satellite install? I doubt that, but want other's opinion.

Thanks in advance,

Lana

Reply to
miamagoo

You have some electrical noise being generated some where around you. like a bad insulator on the line, bad grounding on the shielding etc..

"

Reply to
Jamie

You may be experiencing electrical interference from a faulty motor, switch, relay etc... in your home or even your neighbors. Have you contacted your neighbors to se if th they are getting the same thing? This is not likely the fault of your TV, satellite receiver or its installation.

Did you notice how I left room for error in my diagnosis? It's because nobody can be certain what it is until the source is found.

Reply to
Meat Plow

What type of connector from sat box to TV?

Reply to
ian field

What you describe sounds like 50 or 60 Hz 'hum bars' in the picture...the video equivalent of a steady hum in an audio signal at the power line frequency. The cause is the same; namely a 'ground loop' or improper/insufficient shielding of the video signal somewhere along the line.

It's also possible that this noise--and it definitely is noise, ie: outside interference of some sort--is something different. My bet's still on a shielding issue. Remove and replace each connection, making sure all are tight. Examine all cables for condition. If it's possible, substitute known-good cables one at a time to see if the symptom improves.

You may not have the technical 'chops' to pull all this off; but it's what it will take to dx the problem. Find someone to help you. One thing for certain; it's not a symptom of a bad tube.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Have you tried another tv? If the problem is stilll there, it definitely is not the tv!

Reply to
hrhofmann

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 17:45:49 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com put finger to keyboard and composed:

These articles describe the "hum bar" phenomenon:

They're on the techy side, though.

If you can't resolve your ground loop problem by reorganising your cabling, the author suggests two possible solutions - a Video Isolation Transformer or a Video Common-Mode Choke.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar