Tek 7000 amplifiers

I'm looking at the types of amp plug-ins on Tek history sites. Why aren't there any over 150MHz with 1Mohm inputs? All but the slowest are just

50ohms. I know there are faster scopes with high impedance inputs.
--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in news:MDgig.155955$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Why,I don't know.

7A26 was 200Mhz,IIRC,1Meg input Z. Maybe 250Mhz,in a 7904/7104.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim Yanik typed in news://Xns97DD7B765E449jyanikkuanet@129.250.170.85,

Can you use a FET probe with a faster amp?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in news:hohig.10116$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

I believe so.

What are you trying to measure? TEK makes FET probes for use with 1megR inputs(P6202,IIRC had a switchable 50 ohm termination on it's BNC.),but above some freq,the environment is low-Z anyways. All you end up with is picking up noise.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim Yanik typed in news://Xns97DDD0FFC77DAjyanikkuanet@129.250.170.86,

Thanks for your help Jim.

I was just hoping I could take advantage of the full 400 MHz of a 7854 with something more than 50 ohms impedance. So the P6202 can do it with a 50 ohm input, but does it require a special BNC for power or can it be hot-wired?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Re: 50 Ohm input

If you work out the reactance of a typical 10x passive probe (for a 1M input scope) with (say) 20pF in parallel with 10Meg, the actual loading is mostly down to the capacitance at higher frequencies: At 100MHz the reactance would be about 83 Ohms.

Things only get worse as the frequency increases.

The 10x and 100x "50 Ohm" probes (which function as if an almost pure resistive load with about 1pF additional loading when connected to a 50 Ohm input) actually impose a much lower loading on the circuit than a classic

10x (or even 100x) designed for a 1M input.

So that is why Tektronix chose to fit 50 Ohm inputs to the higher frequency plugins.

PS If you're using a P6202A or a P6201 then they have a power connector (Lemo) that plugs into an outlet on the back of the MF. The original P6202 uses an external mains PSU.

Dave

Reply to
David C. Partridge

Thanks a lot Dave.