Function generator with higher output voltage

Hi all,

I'm looking for an off-the-shelf function generator with more than the usual

10Vpp output signal. The requirements are 30..500Hz square wave, with 20Vpp and output impedance 50Ohms or less (but load current is less then 5mA). Since output voltage is usually well hidden in dozen pages of specification, I'd be glad if someone could point out a device with high output voltage capability.

I know it would be easy to build something (I'm using a home-grown booster amp myself for testing), but it's for a calibration check list for my customer's customer; so modified-audio-kit or ebay is out of question.

Thanks for any info

Chris

Reply to
Chris B

Well, since your output voltage is 10V with a 50 ohm load, it must be

20V when not loaded, right? Your load is 5mA so the voltage loss through the built-in 50 ohm source is about .25V. Okay, that means that, with your specified load, you can get 19.75V. Is that enough?
Reply to
John S

If it were not for your requirement that it not come from ebay I would say to get a Wavetek 142 or 143. They are excellent things.

Reply to
Chris Jones

If you only want square waves, then maybe you would find more things with the search term "Pulse Generator".

Reply to
Chris Jones

Yup, seems like any function generator will do this. (no problem for my rigol DG 1022.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

You might keep an eye out for a HP3314A with Option 001. It will do 30 vpp into 50 ohms. Opt 001 is a X3 amplifier with an aux rear panel output.

The service manual can be found here:

Tom Miller

"John S" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:mob38u$20m$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

I'm sorry the comment about the 5mA load current was misleading; the load uses a bridge rectifier for supply and senses polarity changes for speed info (real use will be on a vehicle, with an axle generator). Supply needs about 13Vdc minimum, so open circuit voltage on generator is about 15V peak = 30Vpp; to get a little headroom I'd like 40Vpp open circuit or 20Vpp terminated.

Chris

Reply to
Chris B

How much power? Volts and current. You can get a HV opamp for ~$10.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

If you don't mind doing another round of Googling, you can get amplifier blocks that are all lab-ish and calibrated and all that nifty stuff.

I'm so far away from that that I couldn't even give you brand names, but something should pop up in an web search (or maybe a group denizen will say something).

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

"Tom Miller" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:mob8uj$l4g$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Good catch, thanks. One with the option available at a used instruments dealer near me, too :-) The Opt001 output is 30Vpp terminated with 500 ohms, but that should work out ok. Most of the features are overkill in this application, but I could use sweeps to make tests easier...

Chris

Reply to
Chris B

Try searching on "laboratory amplifier". You'll have to plow through a bunch of audiophile stuff, but at least one real one popped up for me.

Alternately, what about using any old thing for the amplifier, but measuring the voltage out with a true RMS meter or some such?

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

On the DC side the load is 5mA (almost constant current) at 13V and up; but I'd rather not build something myself. The HP3314A mentioned by Tom Miller seems to fit, I'm getting one next week to check.

Chris

Reply to
Chris B

"Tim Wescott" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

You're a Google Master: "laboratory amplifier" wouldn't have crossed my mind. Lots of good info there... The RMS meter already is part of the test setup anyway (for checking power on/off voltage, ...).

Chris

Reply to
Chris B

When you get it, check the memory battery inside. Should be a 3 volt Li cell. It mainly holds the setup information after power down. The battery is on the top board. One screw will free it.

Reply to
Tom Miller

PDF I have quotes it being a > 500 ohms load for the X3 option.

I think he wanted 50 ohms ?

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

That's funny: probably about half of the posts that I put up on USENET start with "My Google-fu has failed me".

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

I've got some audio transformers that'll do that ratio and impedance, would you like one?

Doesn't sound like you need any power gain or DC.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Hi all,

I'm looking for an off-the-shelf function generator with more than the usual

10Vpp output signal. The requirements are 30..500Hz square wave, with 20Vpp and output impedance 50Ohms or less (but load current is less then 5mA). Since output voltage is usually well hidden in dozen pages of specification, I'd be glad if someone could point out a device with high output voltage capability.

I know it would be easy to build something (I'm using a home-grown booster amp myself for testing), but it's for a calibration check list for my customer's customer; so modified-audio-kit or ebay is out of question.

Thanks for any info

Chris

Reply to
Tim Williams

"Tim Williams" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:mocv16$mck$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Thanks, but I'll try the HP3314A on monday; if that doesn't work out, i've found some nice boosters following Tim Wescott's tip

Chris

Reply to
Chris B