Technics SL1610 MK2 ...

Does anyone have service info on this automatic turntable, please ? Does not appear to be a UK model, as there is nothing for it on the UK Panasonic service website. I am particularly interested in how to adjust the set-down / pick-up points. Both are slghtly late ie set-down point is a groove or two into the music rather than on the lead-in area, and pick-up point is just beyond the end of the run-out area. Almost as if the arm is slightly clockwise rotated with respect to the position sensing plate for the three optos, but I can't see any immediately obvious adjustment screw, or locking screws. Failing there being any simple adjustment, I think that the "S" curve of the arm is gonna become slightly more pronounced ... !!

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

here ya go Arfa!

Nice units, i've got one myself but never had to adjust anything.

-B

Thanks for that. I went and took a look, and interestingly, the SL1610 appears to be completely different from the SL1610 Mk2. The straight 1610 seems to be semi-auto only. The Mk2 is fully auto. It has no size set switch. Instead, the disc size is sensed automatically by way of three sets of three plastic prisms that sit just below the surface of the turntable mat, and have light from three infra red LEDs that shine through them. The user manual for the 1610 has detailed set up instructions for the set-down and pick-up points, which are adjusted by a pair of screws, accessible from the top through holes, which is what I was expecting. The Mk2 has no such corresponding adjustments ...

Anyway, the problem is now cured. As both the set-down and pick-up positions were both wrong by the same amount, and in the same direction, I figured that it was more likely to be a case of mechanical abuse, than one of mis-adjustment. Careful examination of the tone arm indicated that it may have suffered some - how shall we say - stress? at some point in its past. So I gave it the tiniest amount of 'stress' the opposite way ...

When retried, it set down smack in the middle of the lead-in area, and picked up similarly in the middle of the lead-out groove, so job done, wrapped up, and ready for return to the owner ! Thanks again for your efforts. Appreciated.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

blimey, who would have thought that the mk2 bit meant we were talking about almost a different model. mine must be the 1610 as it has the selectors etc.

glad you fixed it and liked the rough 'n' ready cure! ;-) B.