Toshiba 21S04BG Colour TV Service Mode?

=_NextPart_000_000A_01C5CFE9.05E48880 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi All, Can anyone please tell me if this set has a sevice mode and how = to get into it?

I can access the menu ok to change to sound and that by just pressing = the menu button on the remote but can not get the S to appear on screen,help!!

George

Reply to
MCP

=_NextPart_000_000B_01C5CFF0.E9A78DE0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

George: You will really need the service manual so you can make intelligent = changes in the service mode menu, otherwise it is very, very easy to = foul things up and then it will have to go to service shop. What exactly are you trying "fix" in the service mode???: Maybe you = can get some good suggestions if you provide some more information.

Reply to
sofie

=_NextPart_000_0021_01C5D07F.97149660 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Put the volume on minimum on the front volume down button, then hold the volume down button, while holding the number 9=20 on the remote. This will get you in. Be careful not to foul it up, & write down each setting. There are a lot. Sky.

Reply to
Skype_man

=_NextPart_000_000D_01C5D0B5.3B485020 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Thank's a lot M8

Reply to
MCP

George

Out of curiousity, are you expecting the service mode to help with the colour tearing fault we're both experiencing when the set warms up? Unless you know something I don't, I doubt that this is realistically going to cure the problem.

That aside, I plan to keep this as my main TV once it's repaired - perhaps we should club together and buy a .pdf service manual from Mauritron?

Reply to
Andrew

Hi Andrew, No i am working in the dark with this and as the set works fine most of the time i have not "ripped it apart yet",the fault on my one only seems to happen after the set has been on for a while,then switched off for an hour or so and then back on again when then green tinge and tearing appears.This leads me to think it is probably a heat fault or bad solder joint.I have a service manual for this and will try to scan it and turn it into a file that i can send on PC.Note i have not done this before so might mess it up ;-)

George

Reply to
MCP

seems

or so

to think it

and will try to scan it

so might mess it up ;-)

Hi Andrew,I have managed to scan the Toshiba manual and can send it to you,it is

2.47mb in PDF. The circuit diagrams are not to clear but it was the best i could get,does your e-mail address accept files of this size?

George

Reply to
MCP

Hi George, It's great you have a copy of the manual and you're willing to share it, thank you! My email address is: andrew dot w dot turner at gmail dot com It should have a pretty decent space quota so there's no worries on that account.

With time permitting, I'm hoping to spend an hour or so on it tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on.

Reply to
Andrew

George, Many thanks for emailing the manual. I've managed to fix the problem but I'd like to go back over it again once I get to figure out how to get the set into Service Mode (more on that in a moment).

Section 4-4 of the manual (SCREEN Adjustment) was the clue I needed. At the foot of the page it says "If you do not follow this procedure, the picture may be abnormal. For example, when the TV set is on, the picture becames(sic) brighter gradually". This tied in with the fault disappearing when the colour temperature was changed and also by it being ok briefly after switch on (on a warm set) - something had drifted and the set was compensating.

I managed to correct the problem by *slightly* adjusting the Screen G2 control clockwise [this is the bottom of the two controls on the line output transformer].

I hope you have the same luck as I did. If you find that the Screen control on your set needs a large adjustment then that might indicate another problem. Let me know how you get on.

Now then, SERVICE MODE... The instructions in section 4-7 of the manual didn't work for me, namely: [PICTURE OFF]->[DISPLAY]->[MENU]->[MUTE]->[PICTURE ON]

Quite possibly I'm not translating the instructions into the correct buttons on the remote. I also tried Skype_man's instructions (above) and they didn't appear to work either. Did you manage to get into Service Mode?

Reply to
Andrew

Andrew, i resoldered the crt board and all the points on the LOT and did some adjusting like you did on the two controls,and am now getting a near perfect picture.

And like you i just cannot get into the service mode?

Reply to
MCP