Mystery apparatus.

A friend of mine passed along a couple of photos of something that looks like some sort of jig, perhaps turntable related. He hasn't seen it or used it in so long that he can't remember what it is. Any ideas?

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

A sliding cup missing from the rod part ? What weights , hung for test purposes yardarm-like, on the rod part will bring the cylinder to horizontal ?

Reply to
N_Cook

It's a monitor audio stylift.

Adrian C
Reply to
Adrian C

Jeez, more unicorns.

Reply to
dave

Ah, this gizmo:

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

I feel sorry for people who can't work a tone arm without mechanical help. Clue, use your "pinkie" finger as a miniature monopole (for stability). Pivot your other fingers. Lowish light beyond the arm is very helpful for finding the quiet parts on the platter and placing the stylus. I never had the patience for damped cuing levers. Not bragging, just sharing.

Reply to
dave

Ummph. This does ring a bell... in fact I think I had one much like it many decades ago, as part of an AR turntable setup.

If I'm right, it's an automatic tonearm raiser accessory, for use with manual turntable/tonearm systems such as the AR XA which had none built-in. It's designed to lift the tonearm off of the record once the whole side of the record has been played and the stylus enters the lead-out groove.

You place the base of it on the turntable plinth, between the tonearm pivot and the edge of the platter. You position it so that the tonearm will contact it only when the stylus is in the leadout groove, and set the height adjustment so that the point of contact with be above the pivot in the center of the weighted rod.

Before playing a side of the album, you "flip" it into the "armed" position... in photo 2, you would rotate the weighted arm clockwise by just over 1/2 turn. The weighted section will be just past the upright position, stopped from falling down (further clockwise) when the long rod contacts the adjustment screw at the bottom.

When the tonearm finishes playing the LP, it will move into the leadout groove, and the tonearm shaft will contact the (delicately balanced) weighted section and gently push it back counter-clockwise past vertical. The weighted section then continues to drop, the rod rotates counterclockwise up under the tonearm shaft, and lifts the tonearm off of the record.

Yeah, it's a klugy idea... but if I remember properly (it's been 40 years) it does actually work if properly set up and aligned.

Now, I could be wrong... this could be part of an aftermarket "anti-skate" system for the turntable arm... but since I don't see a hole in the end of the long rod into which a thread would fit (to go over to the back of the turntable counterweight) I tend to think not.

Reply to
David Platt

David Platt's explanation is correct. I remember the device. I think our store sold it.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

My Lenco L-133 turntable bought towards the end of 1978 had that function built in. I had to manually place the arm and then move the lever to lower the arm, but when the record ended, the arm automatically rose, and the motor turned off. I always thought it was a great feature, though I had at least one record where it didn't work, the record just kept going around in circles with the needle in the groove.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

You can get the AR-XA turntable to run backwards by simply spinning it backwards while turning on the power. That's the turntable I honed my tonearm lifting finesse on, vs the Rek-o-kuts and Grays of early '60s combo operation (these tracked at 4 plus grams so they had little inclination to fly away if you misjudged your grab.)

Reply to
dave

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the terrific answers and links!

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Arfa Daily har bragt dette til os:

Perhaps somebody never have seen a turntable before, but showing a

3-minute video of a turntable, where only the last 5 seconds show the arm being lifted is rather wasteful.

Leif

--

beslutning at undlade det.
Reply to