Sylvania 27" tv Brightness Flickers

Michael: Allow me, a long standing contributor to this newsgroup, to apologize for the undeserved flames that you received as a result of your sincere posting. I would hope that in the future that you would continue to come to this newsgroup with your questions. In addition, you can go to the website for this newsgroup at

there, with some searching, you will find a wealth of technical and troubleshooting information along with some very IMPORTANT safety information. I trust that you will feel free to post here again. No matter where you go you will always find disagreeable responses and inappropriate attitudes.... it is up to you to disregard them. Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

sofie

Geeze man.... lighten up. The OP doesn't claim to be an expert; sure, he doesn't get all the teminology right (and you knew that he was really talking about the anode wire); he came here for some help and all you are giving him is a load of crap and insults. Feel free to warn him about the dangers of working on a television but you don't have to FLAME his ass just because he is not quite the expert you want everyone to think that you are. electricitym . . .

Reply to
electricitym

Well I havn't done any measurements since I'm still using it right now. I had actually thought about it being some bad caps in the power supply but I don't have a cap tester. All i have is a DMM and an old heathkit oscillisocpe from the 1970's. It doesn't have transistors it has tubes. It also needs some good probes.

-Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Oh, yeah... I still have a few "1B2D" tubes here somewhere.....with the stock of "color tubes" that are always bad in the sets at garage sales.

--
PB
"Fresh windows units enter the internet backwards, bent

"Just Another Theremin Fan" bravely wrote to "All" (07 Oct 05 12:31:33) --- on the heady topic of "Re: Sylvania 27" tv Brightness Flickers"

JATF> From: "Just Another Theremin Fan" JATF> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:344391

JATF> Michael Kennedy wrote: > I hate how you just insult me like I am an idiot.

JATF> But you are.... You are......

Please, be kind to the neubies. If you can't contribute anything constructive then don't get involved in the discussion, thank you.

A*s*i*m*o*v

... Wasted power is current squared times the resistance.

Reply to
Asimov

So far I have taught the guy the difference betweent an anode and a cathode. That there is some contention about the direction of electron flow and that as far has basic safety goes he has much to learn.

I'd call that a valuable contribution. Now what did *YOU* contribute to the thread?

Reply to
Just Another Theremin Fan

Way to go Dan!

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

I guess there's a new standard here...when I first started here a number of years back, this post would've been just about what we wanted...when did the rules change, and who changed them? This guy has undeservedly been drawn through the wringer, and it isn't right. You know who you are...

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

What "rules"? Can you point me to them? All I did was try and give an opinion to a problem a guy was having and help him along the way bu suggesting that he first of all knew the names of the (lethal) parts he was dabbling with.

Reply to
Just Another Theremin Fan

I hate to fuel you with more crap but before I ever even opened a tv up I read up all of the safety info there was to read on the sci.electronics.reparir FAQ about TVs and HV equipment. That has been about a year or so ago and sorry I'm not good with names.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Yea.... we ALL saw your contribution all right. Maybe you should consider going over to a different newsgroup and spend your time there, maybe alt.insults.various or alt.arrogant.attitudes electricitym

Just Another Therem> > If you can't contribute anything

Reply to
electricitym

Try alt.haveasenseofhoumour.....

Reply to
Just Another Theremin Fan

If you have childred I hope that you don't "instruct" them with insults and belittling like you have done with your postings.... maybe that is the way yow were "instructed" ..... you igonorant and arrogant idiot.... get it right, you fool. electricitym

Reply to
electricitym

"Just Another Theremin Fan" bravely wrote to "All" (08 Oct 05 05:42:31) --- on the heady topic of "Re: Sylvania 27" tv Brightness Flickers"

JATF> From: "Just Another Theremin Fan" JATF> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:344446

JATF> So far I have taught the guy the difference betweent an anode and a JATF> cathode. That there is some contention about the direction of electron JATF> flow JATF> and that as far has basic safety goes he has much to learn.

JATF> I'd call that a valuable contribution. Now what did *YOU* contribute JATF> to the thread?

You may have come late to the discussion as I had already offered some practical advice early on but I'm probably hopelessly patronizing. ;-)

A*s*i*m*o*v

... Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well.

Reply to
Asimov

Hi...

And I thought I told Michael that the cathode was actually an element of the cathode ray tube (hence the name) too... he replied nicely, anyway :)

Now just hoping that he hasn't left us as a result of all this, and that we can put it all behind us and carry on :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Nah. I'm still here. I just havn't torn my tv back apart yet :) I'll probably get around to it later this week and order a lot of caps. I've been visiting this newsgroup for a couple of years on and off. My overall my expirences have been good but you always get the occasional flamer. I tried not to get too mad with the flamer becuase arguments escilate fast on newsgroups as we can all see and they never accomplish anything.

And to think all of this started because I forgot the name of the anode and I didn't bother to look it up.. I knew I gave the wrong name in the beginning but I figured the description was clear enough. I actually expected a post or two of critisim telling me it was the wrong name but not an entire thread.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy