Sylvania 27" TV, Decent Buy?

Hello Folks,

Can anyone comment on the Sylvania 27" Television, model# SST4274S, being sold at Sams Club for $164.87? I have also looked at the 32" Sylvania for $254.88, which looks like the exact same model but with a bigger screen.

It's my understanding that years ago a television with a Sylvania tube was the thing to have. That being said, after doing some research I now know that they are part of Funai Corp.

Is the quality still decent for a basic tv? How long can I expect it to last?

Thanks, James

Reply to
James

The brutal truth. Anything past the warranty is a gamble. They are cheaply made, with the cheapest parts, and the cheapest labor.

Reply to
dkuhajda

How far back are you thinking? Sylvania today has absolutely nothing in common with the sylvania of the 70's or 80's other than the name.

In any case, they're OK tv's. If it breaks, toss it in the trash.

Reply to
TCS

The set you are looking at is one of the poorest quality on the market today, if you are looking for any type of quality. These sets usually barely make it past their warranty period, and they are generally not serviceable.

Don't compare the Sylvania sets from before the mid 70's to the ones of today. The Sylvania company is not the same company that it was back then. The name has been sold from the US owners to a foreign manufacture, and is of not the same engineering, or quality level.

If you want a good quality set, you should be looking at Panasonic, Sony, Hitachi, and others along that line. You will get what you pay for.

--

JANA
_____

"James"  wrote in message
Hello Folks,

Can anyone comment on the Sylvania 27" Television, model# SST4274S, being
sold at Sams Club for $164.87? I have also looked at the 32" Sylvania for
$254.88, which looks like the exact same model but with a bigger screen.

It's my understanding that years ago a television with a Sylvania tube was
the thing to have. That being said, after doing some research I now know
that they are part of Funai Corp.

Is the quality still decent for a basic tv? How long can I expect it to
last?

Thanks,
James
Reply to
JANA

Reply to
kip

Thank you everyone for the helpful responses!

I didn't expect the same quality as a Sony Trinitron, just a good basic TV that would last a good while. Is there a better 27" TV for under $200(US)? How about RCA or Sanyo?

I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks, James

barely

serviceable.

Reply to
James

You are going from one crap to another. The Sanyo would be a bit better than the RCA, even though they are both low end. RCA and GE for TV and for home type electronics is one of the worse of them all.

As for major house-hold appliances, such as stoves and refridgerators, GE and RCA are different than from their other types of products.

--

JANA _____

I didn't expect the same quality as a Sony Trinitron, just a good basic TV that would last a good while. Is there a better 27" TV for under $200(US)? How about RCA or Sanyo?

I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks, James

barely

serviceable.

Reply to
JANA

RCA/GE name for home entertainment was sold to Thompson (french) a decade ago, and isn't your "father's RCA" anymore......

Reply to
CRaSH

basic TV

$200(US)?

I don't know if a 27" Sanyo is under $200, but the brand is decent, and many Sanyo models sold by Wal-mart include a 1-year store exchange warranty.

RCA/GE consumer electronics used to be American, then it was sold to Thomson, a French company, and last year Thomson sold it to TCL, a Chinese company.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

You should try a yardsale, picked up a 27 inch samsung with remote for $30 and a 20 inch sears\remote for $20 at a yardsale. both work great.

barely

serviceable.

Reply to
over priced

Update:

I ended up purchasing a 32" Sanyo Television at Wal-Mart on a special for $247 instead of the Sylvania model. Haven't had time to use it very much, but the build quality seems to be very good and I'm happy with the picture quality. From what I have read, Sanyo has long been an underrated brand, and that their build quality and reliability is actually much better than better known "name" brands.

In addition, I was pleased to see that it is manufactured in the USA and has a one (1) year Wal-Mart exchange warranty. I don't think you can beat this for the price/features!

-James

then.

is

Sony,