Speaker overload (tweeter) protection using bulbs (repost)

Boy!, you're way out of your league..

"

Reply to
Jamie

What ever you do think you know as fact, must of come at a great expense of destroying a lot of electronics.

"

Reply to
Jamie

Drive an amp hard enough and that's what you effectively get, as far as the speaker is concerned. Try taking your head out of your arse and use that scope.

--
*Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

message

couldn't

the

years

was

You are right of course, I outgrew Little League decades ago.

Later, Junior.

Reply to
liquidator

message

idea

play

under

faster

put

will

want to

amp

all...then

conversely

all

amps

sense

Again showing your gross ignorance. As a working pro I'm sure I paid more in taxes than you earned.

Welcome to the killfiles as the only total loss I've seen today.

Dont' bother replying, but your juvenile need to will make you do it anyway.

Reply to
liquidator

Glad to hear it. I don't suppose you're a musician who uses Wharfe gear or repairs pro audio gear for a living, but rather just another consumer or retailer who has an opinion.

As far as the Behringer gear goes I have no experience with it so other than seeing a lot of negative comments about it from those who do use or repair it i have no opinion.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Doesn't stop the amp having greater than the HF driver's rating !

Or ensure the amp you have is fitted with DC 'crowbar' protection such as I design in.. Or output relays but these can oxidise their contacts degrading the sound, and if they don't have enough clearance will arc-over on a DC fault.

I think you summed it up pretty well there Dave.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Exceed X max (not difficult with ported cabs) and you can do a lot of damage to the LF driver too.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

UTTER and complete rubbish. If you're referring to the difference between an rms and peak voltage or power, that's already taken into account in the speaker's rating. Yes, you can get a bit more out of an amp on toneburst but rarely much over 1-2dB at the very most. Certainly not for long enough to do any damage.

You're straying into tech territory here George that you don't understand. Stick to rigging and mixing.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Generally. But not exclusively by far.

Exceeding X max can trash an LF or HF driver without as much as even a discoloured voice coil. And there are many easy ways to do it.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Couldn't agree more.

(X max)

Precisely. I have a lovely pair of Altec diaphragms in my "rogue's gallery" that demonstrates this perfectly. The voice coils meaure 100% OK and look OK.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Ah,

them,

probably

but I

voice

are

below

Behringer is like any company...some usable for semi pro, some absolute garbage.

Thee odd thing is most negative comments about Behringer do NOT come from users as you say.

Almost all negative posts about Behringer are from users of other brands.

It's no worse than any other cheap stuff, better sometimes. I don't us it, but plenty of weekend warrriors do.

If Behringer was a s bad as people try to say, they would be out of business.

Conclusion- many aof the negative posts are bull.

I don't use Behringer, or Mackie, or any of that kinda stuff. But I am not gonna insist everybody drive the same brand of car I do.

Reply to
liquidator

Are you familiar with the origin of the name 'IPA' ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

polyswiches. I would

account for

appropriately

a lamp in

That's how I see it too. We don't get many lamps blown but it does happen, even in the EV QRx's (almost once a year on average).

trying (with a

a lamp or

more MF, and

Admittedly the time

better than

which

Indeed it should ALWAYS be on the input side. Which is how ours are arranged. It just disconnects the HPF.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

That's why I use 'clip eliminator circuits'. Did my first 18 years ago in the

1200B. Used a transconductance amp in a feedback loop (inactive until clip sensed so no effect on normal signal).

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Uh ?

A 100% distorted signal would be a square wave of 2W rating. That's not going to bother ANY 600W rated voice coil.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

More correctly I was, since the original question was relevant to all.

George should have trimmed the groups for pro-sound comments only.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

In practice, I think you'll find the subject matter is still of interest in all of these.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Many a JBL D150 went to meet its maker in the 70s. In flames quite often.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Jamie is notorious (with me at least) for having some very odd ideas sometimes in the electronics groups. I think he's a little bit out of touch with current practice in this area.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore