Speaker Crossover Questions - Again

Hi, I got many great replies to my original post,

With work getting in the way, I have been a bit slow at ordering and replacing the caps in my AR 91s speakers (25 yrs old). I hope to find some time over the holidays.

Reviewing other threads on the subject of, and talking to a couple of friends in the my IT dept, industry, I have a few more questions before ordering parts.

Should I replace the resistors? The speakers function, and measuring the resistors with a multi-meter find them within tolerance. Any other tests I can perform? The resistors and caps leads are twisted and soldered together, so I have to "remove" them anyway.

I was thinking about use a connector bar, screw or solder type, versus twisting and soldering the component wires together. Any comments on that idea?

From lurking in this forum, I know that most of you that reply to posts do not believe in high-end "snake oil" caps. Humor me, or go enjoy a glass of egg-nog. Reading other forums, people recommend using a quality cap in parallel with a smaller value "snake oil" cap. The result is supposedly better sound, without spending big $$. This doesn't quite make sense to me, since a larger value cap will roll off at a lower frequency and thus a larger portion of the signal (for a mid or high speaker) will be flowing through it. Is this a correct assessment or is my "basic" understanding of caps or electronics insufficient to understand why this recommendation has merit.

Cheers! Christopher

Reply to
cj

If they're in good condition, there's no reason to replace them.

For reliability, all connections should be soldered, regardless of how the components are "anchored"..

It is my opinion that switching from electrolytic to Mylar caps will effect a noticeable improvement in the sound. Mylar caps are not horribly expensive, so it won't cost much to experiment. You can modify one speaker and compare it with the unmodified one to see if you agree. I will not discuss this issue further.

You should replace the caps directly, rather than paralleling them. (Your point is correct, at least in theory.) A 10uF electrolytic should be replaced by a 10uF Mylar, and so on.

Mylar caps should also last longer than electrolytics, as they won't dry out.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

other

versus

using

off

Looking at the AR91 schematic here

I notice that the original caps are all non-polarised electros. While changing to film type caps (mylar MKT or polypropylene MKP) is thought by many to improve the sound quality, this may prove to be a moot point in reality. Those 24 uF and 40uF caps will take several paralleled MKT's or MKP's to get the right value and the cost won't be all that small. As suggested by William you might care to modify one unit and compare it with a standard x-over. Listening test will require a suitable speaker switchover arrangement.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

post,

That sounds right to me, but whats the point ?

Electrolytics are always plagued by tolerance, ESR, aging, and voltage limits. A quality speaker will be voiced by careful planning, listening, and measuring. Anything you change can affect the sound, not necessarily for the better. Resistors should be Ok indefinitely, unless they are cooked or have mechanical fatigue. After years of fooling around with internal crossovers while making speakers, I got smart and put the crossover components on the outside of the cabinet, and any changes could be made without reopening the cabinet. You can make a change, and check for changes in response, polar patterns, etc.. Sometimes it could take days or weeks to determine if I was satisfied with the sound.

greg

Polypropylene is probably overkill.

Mylar caps aren't horribly expensive.

I would start by replacing only those caps in series with the drivers -- the

4uF and 24uF capacitors. You can then try replacing the two that are directly in parallel, the 8uF and 40uF. The 100uF cap seems to be part of a Zobel filter (don't ask) and probably doesn't need replacing, unless it's "bad", in which case you can use an electrolytic.

Not necessarily. Before modifying a speaker, listen to a mono source and try to get a sharp central image. Modify one speaker, and repeat the listening. If the caps have changed the sound, the mono image should be at least "different", and (hopefully) degraded, because the speakers no longer "sound alike".

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Pink noise is the only way to go for immediate recognition. Of course. if the component can be changed instantly outside the cabinet, you only need one speaker to hear any change.

greg

Reply to
GregS