Adhesive to hold Speaker crossover components

I'm replacing a couple of capacitors in speaker crossover. The parts have a glue that holds them tight to the PCB, the glue is still a little bit rubbery after 33 years. (Pioneer HPM-700) What can I use that will do the same job, without solvent damage to the electronic parts?

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Sounds like RTV Silicone. That's what I use for heavier components subject to vibration. eg...

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

A little hot melt?

Reply to
krw

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 08:54:27 -0500, amdx Gave us:

Hot melt

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Thanks Guys, A 10 minute search and a phone call to the wife, I just had to dig deeper into where I thought the hot glue was.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 10:10:51 -0500, amdx Gave us:

It is all over your synapses and holding your eyelids shut.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Expectations. I was looking for the orange power cord. It was in a bookcase behind other items, in a bag. I couldn't see the orange cord through the bag. In other words, it was my wife's fault!

Mikek :-)

Reply to
amdx

Lexel Adhesive Caulk

read the fine print. can use on polycarbonate as I did, so most anything it sticks to and remains slightly flexible.

OldGuy

I bought a gun-sized tuber for the bathtub, etc. but havenn't used it yet.

Reply to
micky

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 17:22:58 -0500, amdx Gave us:

snip

Now, it appears that you are very lucky that she doesn't read Usenet news group posts.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 23:07:03 -0700, OldGuy Gave us:

What does the chinese use on SMPS inductors, caps, etc.?

I mean I have seen RTV and hot melt, but there are some that use some yellowish "caulk" type stuff that is a bit more turgid (for lack of a better term).

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The caps have been replaced, the speakers work. I think! This a 4 way speaker with the super tweeter crossover frequency at 12kHz. I can't hear past 11kHz. I plan on selling these speakers, so I want to verify they do operate. I did verify operation out of the cabinet driving the super tweeters with a signal generator. I need to hook my sig gen to my amp and listen to the super tweeter with a mic and scope while in the cabinet. Where is teenager when you need one?

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

You might try an SPL meter, or perhaps your wife hasn't read this thread and will help? ;-) You might try measuring the impedance of the speaker assembly across the audio band, too. You should be able to see the crossover and tweeter.

Save them for setting clocks. ;-)

Reply to
krw

On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 07:49:45 -0500, amdx Gave us:

Feed the amp with the sig gen to spot the crossover points.

Drive with no more than 150mV

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Why such a low level? I seem to recall driving the Super tweeter with about 1V to hear

11 kHz out of it. (out of cabinet) Mikek
Reply to
amdx

On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 16:27:24 -0500, amdx Gave us:

The amplifier input, you big dummy.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Lexel lives on the top of RV's, but is used for gluing tupper ware together...that is there should be a hard solvent process in there...see the MSDS.

here's Allied:

avagadro7