Crossover resistors

After a speaker cabinet went out on me I took it apart and tested each speaker , 3inch,4inch and a 15 inch. All seemed fine. I replaced the 2 caps (1.5 and a 6) and the resistors (5w 2.2 Ohm) .These are the same values as the old ones. Almost no sound was making its way to to the 3 or 4 inch. speakers. I removed the resistors and it sounds as good as it used to. My question is what funtion does the resistor play? Does it protect the speakers from overload? Thanks

Reply to
DanFXR

Presumably they contribute to the crossover's frequency domain performance -- e.g. its Q.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:50:23 -0500, DanFXR Has Frothed:

Works with the inductor and capacitor to determine what frequencies are passed to the drivers. What frequencies that are blocked from the drivers end up as heat dissipated by the inductor and resistor.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Resistors mainly control the amplitude to adjust drivers outputs. Very few drivers have the same sensitivity. The resistors also can increase power handling, have effects on crossover frequency and phase, and can change damping. Off axis response will change and response will change. Somehow your not going to get the same response by bypassing the resistors. Changibg capacitor types will also change things.

greg

Reply to
GregS