Sony verse Mitsubishi

I am looking at buying a rear projection HDTV. I'm partial to Hitachi, but am looking at the Sony KDS line, and the Mits DLP's. From a tech stand point, which would tend to be the long term runner between these technologies as far as dependability? Any thoughts would be greatful. Thanks group.

Reply to
Golf

One item to know is that most DLP's (unless you are willing to spend $$$$$$$$$$) have only a single mirror chip. It generates the 3 colors by having a little wheel with colored lenses spin between the light source and the mirrors to generate the colors. You can often see a rainbow streak on fast movements, or if you move your head.

Some newer DLP's are using LED's to generate the colors. Some newer DLP's are spinning the wheel faster to minimize the rainbow effect.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Thanks for the info, this is also the only draw back I could find with a DLP. Haven't seen any negative comments yet on the SXRD. I plan on spending about $3,000 total, and would like to buy the top of the line for what this will get me in rear projection HDTV. Thanks again.

Reply to
Golf

They're also adding color segments to the wheel so that each revolution produces each color two or more times....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

What gets me is you have this super-high-tech, HDTV, and it has a mechanical motor and a spinning wheel in it!! Makes me think of the original CBS color TV process approved in the US before saner heads prevailed. It was quickly rescinded and changed to NTSC.

I have CRT HDTV (direct view), and probably won't update until LED or similar backlighting becomes more standard. Replacing an expensive lamp every 2 or so years seems like a step backwards to tube electronics!!!

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Both are great sets. I sell and service both and each has its pros and cons. The down side to the SXRD is a more complex optical path inherent in three chip systems and a history of some color anomolies. We have not seen any of the latter, but others have reported having problems with color uniformity. Newer models seem to have less complaints.

In the Mits line get the 731 series if you want to be able to calibrate color most precisely and for the value point in the line. In the SXRD stick with the lower end sets for the best value. The higher end sets (XBR) have a slightly better DRC for 480i sources, but otherwise are not much different in performance.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 22772 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

What kind of motor do they use, and what speed does it run? How about life expectancy? Greater than the lamp? Just curious . . . thanks, Tom

Reply to
t.hoehler

It varies with brand. Most would have a life expectancy far greater than the lamp. A great deal of the concern comes from lots of early failures in RCA and Samsing sets. In four years of selling and servicing DLP products (neither of those brands), we have had exactly one bad color wheel motor, and that was a virtual DOA, well within the warranty period. IME, it is far less of a concern than optical path problems on LCD and LCOS sets, or phosphor aging in PDPs.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 16574 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet