Sony TV troubles and Discharging CRT (with Pictures)

Hi,

Obviously, any advice you do give is at my own risk, and you will not be held responsible for any accidents that could occur.

To give you an idea what level of understanding I have, I'll give you some background. This is the first time I've taken the back of a TV. I've previously successfully fixed washing machine electrics, I'm a qualified car mechanic so I've dealt with LT and HT problems + radios, electrical systems etc and I've got a Physics A level.

So, on with the problem:

We were watching TV (Sony KV32FX U) yesterday (Lost, what a silly ending that was) and everything was fine, good picture etc, when suddenly, the TV clicked loudly and the picture disappeared. Now, if I push the power button to on, the standby button lights correctly. If I then press a channel button to actually try and show as channel, the TV clicks (it made this sound when it worked correctly), but no picture or sound come and the standby light flashes 4 times.

I've taken the back off, and checked the one fuse I could see (ok).

Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

In addition, regarding safety:

I've used the following procedure to attempt discharge the CRT (power disconnected)

"Either purchase a shorting probe or make one. If this is not an option, use two well-insulated screwdrivers.

If using a probe, connect the wire and clip to the metal chassis surrounding the CRT. If using screwdrivers, place the end on one screwdriver on the metal chassis surrounding the front of the tube.

NOTE: Make absolutely sure that you are not touching any metal parts during the next steps.

If using screwdrivers, slip the end of the other screwdriver under the protective rubber grommet on the side of the CRT, where the high- voltage wire is attached to the tube.

Note: When you discharge the tube, there may be a very bright flash and a loud snapping noise. Try not to look at the point where the flash will appear. Also, be aware of the snapping noise, as it may cause you to jump.

Now, either slip the end of the shorting probe under the rubber grommet or cross the two screwdrivers together to create a path for the electricity to arc across.

Remove the screwdrivers or probe."

I attempted perhaps 10 times, ensuring I got the screwdrivers on the metal. When I did it, there was no noise, spark or flash. Does this sound reasonable?

I've taken pictures of me doing this which you can see here:

There's also some other pictures of the TV for reference.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Will

Reply to
Will

Also, can recommended reading on the subject would be very helpful

Reply to
Will

usually horiz output or psu. Can be many things though. You'd need electronics skills to do it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222