Sony CRT TV Problem

My TV was dropped a very small distance and ever since the picture has a kind of smearing on certain colours. Also the Standby light now flashes a special pattern as if to tell me something is wrong. It was a high end Sony, about 11 years ago. Everything was perfect until it got a drop a few months ago.

Any idea what the problem is?

Reply to
32andtwentyseven

Shadow mask in the CRT has shifted. Not something you can repair unless someone here wants to explain how you might affix some magnets to the back of the CRT in order to reposition the mask. It's a lot of playing around and you're exposed to lethal voltages.

Reply to
Meat Plow

This might be a good time to take advantage of your homeowners policy.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

11 year old tv ???????????

You have had your moneys worth. Buy another.

Regards

Reply to
Terry

if its the shadowmask then a hard thump in the opposite direction can sometimes fix it. Its a bit kill or cure though.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Well some have responded about the shadow mask, but in this case I don't think this is your problem. If the LED is blinking, I suspect a crack in the circuit board near a heavy component, it's pretty common with a dropped set and can cause smearing or other problems. Now if you have a blob of incorrect color somewhere, it's probably the aperature grill in the tube shifted. Those old Sonys are nice sets though, if there's no splotches of color on the screen it's worth getting fixed, I have one that's several years older and it still looks fantastic.

Reply to
James Sweet

But I really love this TV

Reply to
32andtwentyseven

Thanks. Do you have any idea who I should take it to to have it fixed and how much it should roughly cost?

The other problem that is has and the real reason that it needs to be fixed is that it causes interference to my digital box so it doesn't work correctly when near the TV. I should have put this my my original post really.

Reply to
32andtwentyseven

The set isn't loosing anything with time as far as I can see. Really, the picture was 100% perfect before it fell on its front.

Ok I have done that. Yeah, the smear does reduce as the settings are lowered. But then so does the rest of the picture.

Reply to
32andtwentyseven

I don't even have any idea where you're located, and since I repair my own stuff I don't know of any shops in my area anyway but you should be able to find something in the phone book.

Repair cost is likely to be $150-$200 depending on what they have to do.

Reply to
James Sweet

No way, yes those symptoms are characteristic of a worn CRT but he stated clearly that the problem occurred suddenly. Weak CRTs wear out over a long period of time, they don't go from bright and beautiful to smeared and dim in a day. There are many other problems that can mimic a worn CRT, since the set took a whack I'd bet money it's nothing but a fracture in one of the boards.

If only I had a dollar for every TV I've fixed that someone had diagnosed as a bad tube that was actually something else.

Reply to
James Sweet

OK new TV it is then!

Reply to
32andtwentyseven

Your choice, but keep in mind you'll have to spend a lot more than $150 to get a TV as well made as your Sony.

Reply to
James Sweet

Actually I was planning to get another old Sony for about $40 second hand.

Reply to
32andtwentyseven