Sony Bravia Question

I have had a Sony KDL-46EX711 tv for about a year. When turned on, you first get a a Sony logo sound and Sony on the screen and then it might be 6 seconds before you can control any functions with the remote. It acts like a computer booting up. Recently, it stopped giving the Sony logos and comes on showing what channel was last watched immediately and you can change channel or volume immediately.

Why does it work the way I want it to NOW, after a year?

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

En el artículo , amdx escribió:

Maybe it quietly downloaded a firmware update?

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=)

There was a firmware update on 8/27/2013:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I don't see the particular changes in the description, but if it was an automatic update, the timing might be right. Whatever the cause, it is a good change. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I went a little further and found, it has the latest Firmware. Version PKG4.117AAL. So I think it did an automatic update. It has a wifi adapter attached. I'm going to start wearing my pants while watching tv, just in case! :-) More software controls on this that I don't have a clue about. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust anything. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will blow your eardrums. If we wish to make it softer, we might decrease the compression, but it's unlikely. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can screw with the image and trash it with decompression artifacts. We can change the resolution from a disgusting blur, or sharpen it to the crystal clarity of 1080p. For the next few hours, cease complaining, fasten your seat belt, and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to the bottom of your bank account.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I always wanted to hear the Control Voice say...

"There is nothing wrong with your television. But if we keep screwing with it, pretty soon there will be."

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Your TV is in quick start mode. Basically, it's not shutting fully down, but keeping the computer part running, which uses quite a bit of power.

From the menus, go to Settings, Preferences. Scroll down to Quick Start. Change Smart Mode to OFF.

It's hard to say what happened, but something caused the TV to reset itself.

law!!
http://home.comcast.net/~andyross
Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

I was going to ask how a TV can get a firmware update, but you have answered it. Geez, that's bit scary. What if there was a power failure or somebody shut down your network while it was downloading? Bricked TV? Hmmm, if it can download an AUTHORIZED update, it could download an UNauthorized one, too! Big brother, or a whole new kind of cyber vandalism? How about turning EVERY home into a Nielson home? When will all this stuff end?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

On the DVB-T2 network here the settop-boxes receives updates over the air, on each mux a channel is dedicated to this and the program guide.

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.

I'll pay the electric bill, even my wife hated waiting for it to boot up. Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx