Sony PS-LX510 Turntable

Been working on this turntable for a bit of time. Did get a copy of the service manual. Replaced tonearm belt, lubed rail & adjusted some of the adjustment screws (arm height,tracking error, etc.) inside the tonearm, itself. So, no more sticking during play. But one issue remains: rumble being picked up when the stylus lands on the record. Being a direct-drive, what's the fix (SM has no info)? Oil to the motor, perhaps?

Reply to
Madness

have you washed out the bearing and re-lubed it? could be just hardened lube rather than grime

Reply to
N_Cook

The motor bearing? I'll take a look at it.

Reply to
Madness

If you found factory lube turned sticky anywhere else suspect it has done the same anywhere it was employed.

Reply to
Meat Plow

i don't think I ever had this problem. I know the low frequency fundamemtal resonance of the arm/cartridge can agrivate this. To find out place the needle on the non moving record and gently tap the record to see if there is a similar frequency sound. You could also try a record clamp but this may actually increase rumble. A record clamp makes a huge difference on the tap test. So whats the frequency of the rumble ?

greg

Reply to
GregS

Hi!

Is the turntable properly grounded?

If it is, I'd look for any rubber mountings that might isolate the motor from the rest of the table. Perhaps these have degraded?

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh