A little diagnosing a Zenith VR-3300

I have a well designed Zenith VR-3300 that is having a problem with its take-up reel. I thought replacing the idler tire might be the problem so I bought the "Complete Rubber Kit (MBK-93PT)" from Studio Sound Electronics as seen on this page:

The supply side reel works fine so I am assuming the load belt is fine. The problem goes like this:

1 - Load videocassette

2 - Machine loads tape and draws it across video head

3 - Supply wheel starts feeding out tape

4 - Take up reel remains stationary

5 - 3 or 4 inches of tape are pulled through the pinch roller without being taken up by take-up reel

6 - Machine stops

I replaced the idler tire but the problem persists although if I fast forward a few hundred ticks on the counter and tap the fast forward button a few times after pressing play the take up reel starts up and everything is fine. Looking at previous posts there was mention of backtension adjustment but from what I can tell the tape has the appropriate tension but simply no response from the take-up reel unless I first fast forward the tape and tap the fast forward button a few times which seems to bring the take up reel to life.

Any help would be appreciated and if possible please refer to the parts in the photos at the link above since I am not too familiar with the terms that would indicate what to adjust.

Thanks for the help, I hope I can bring this nice unit back to life, Steve.

Reply to
Steve