Sony model #KV32TS35 no picture

When first plugged in this set had a perfect picture, but static in the sound. Then, the picture went out, but still have bad sound. I turned up the screen voltage and only had a horizontal line. High voltage was present. I opend the tuner to look for suspect solder joints, but looked OK. I unplugged the Horizontal yoke (I think horizontal - top and bottom coil on CRT), then plugged it back in, then the set shut down. I was hoping someone here has seen this problem with this particular model, and maybe has the schematic. Thanks all.

Reply to
Golf

You have multiple issues to repair and most are pretty straightforward for any technician.

  1. Failure in the vertical deflection circuit, could be solder connection or failed vertical output due to weak capacitors, plus you will no doubt have at least one open fusible resistor.
  2. Bad MTS monolithic stereo decode module, on the IF board, SBX1637 or similar.
  3. Probably bad solder connections inside the tuner and if module, check and repair now since you will be in the tv set.

As you unplugged the yoke on a Sony, you may have damaged other components that repair will need completed after fixing the stuff that was causing the first problems.

Pretty much no need for a service manual for basic faults like you described initially, might need one now though due to additional damage. Probably will need the service manual and adjustment manual (two manuals from Sony) in order to readjust the screen drive voltage correctly unless you marked exactly where it was and made note of the exact G2 voltage before you moved it. Never adjust the G2 voltage on any tv set that has an AKB circuit without making sure you can put it back exactly where it was before you moved it.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Thanks for the info. I will re-check the tuner, and try to determine if the vertical IC bit the dust and check the caps. Not sure of IF board location, but I should be able to locate it. The power problem is puzzling though, since every time the set is cycled on, there is an initial high voltage pulse, then nothing. Don't know if a protection circuit is shutting it down or what. No voltage on secondary of B+ transformer. I will post findings as I get them. Thanks again.

Reply to
Golf

I found a high voltage diode off pin #1 of flyback shorted. I have to order this, which I assume will bring high voltage back. Until then, I don't know what else to check in the vertical section since I don't have a schematic, and no power. I will order the audio IC you mentioned as well. Again, I'll keep posting on progress. Thanks again.

Reply to
Golf

Sounds like you started with a few problems including no vertical. You unplugged a yoke - don't know which - and believe someone here can give advice that will help? (Isn't there only one yoke plug in this model?)

My advice is close up the TV and have a technician come look at it. Or put it on the curb. Or use it as a doorstop. But whatever you do, don't put your hands inside it again.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

Thanks for the advice, but I will continue working on this until it is fixed, with or without the help of this group. I have posted several times that I am fairly new to repair, and have no previous training. Only good working knowledge of basic and some advanced electronics. As far as the yoke plug, there is one for each coil, unless I am mis-identifying the yoke coils. Again, I will post results as I find them. Thanks.

Reply to
Golf

Have Fun ..

Reply to
kip

For your static audio issues , replace the small hybrid IC mounted to the standup PC board next to the tuner. SBX1637

For you vertical problem , check C542 560mfd and/or resolder the pins on the vertical output & the yoke plug.

Also , on that same standup module that the SBX1637 IC is on , resolder all the pins on the "Jungle IC" that is under that metal shield

-- ========================== Jeff Stielau Shoreline Electronics Repair

344 East Main Street Clinton,CT 06413 860-399-1861 860-664-3535 (fax) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net ========================
Reply to
Shoreline Electronics

ordered the sound module which was obviously in bad shape. I haven't had time to do a thorough check of caps/resistors around the vertical IC and such, but will start with your advice. I will post results when I get them. Thanks again for the help. A beginner here who loves electronics.

Reply to
Golf

Thanks Kip, you have helped me also in past posts.

Reply to
Golf